Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Two new 22 revolvers, the journey begins

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Two new 22 revolvers, the journey begins

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:54 pm

We recently added two brand new 22 revolvers to our collection and have yet to really put them through serious accuracy testing or a full blown range session, though I have test fired them in our backyard range for function. That's part of the story, though, so stay tuned.

And here they are. By way of introduction, that's a S&W 617 22 LR 10 shot with a 6" barrel on the left wearing vintage K frame wood grips I found at a gun show, plus an Ultradot 25 via a Weigand mount. On the right is an all stock, right out of the box, Uberti by way of Stoeger Cattleman 12 shot 22 LR with a 7 1/2" barrel.

Both fine 22 revolvers in their own right, but other than being 22 LRs and both being more than 6 shooters (10 for the Smith and 12 for the Uberti), they are obviously very different revolvers.

First the Smith 617.

This is not my first 617, so very familiar with the gun. I bought it mostly to have a 22 LR that will allow me to practice DA shooting and do it, economically. Bill has a 617 that he has been shooting for years with many thousands or rounds of 22 ammo and he's never had an issue. Not so with this 617 and another 617 I used to own.In fact, this current 617 is doubly jinxed. It actually came from Smith with a 22 mag barrel installed. No kidding, it really did. It said 22 mag right on the barrel. Okay, my shop returned it, immediately, and got it back with the correct 22 LR barrel installed before I came along and bought it after a thorough exam.

For those not familiar with 617s, the 617 is notorious for light strikes, right out of the box, some guns being so bad they can't make it through an entire cylinder of 10 shots without a significant number of failure to ignite rounds. This one and the one I used to have both had to be returned to Smith to be fixed. Got this one back and test fired it in the backyard and the gun seems fixed, now. (It better be, because 617s are very expensive, right at $900 these days.)

617s do have a rep for excellent accuracy, though, because the 617 does use a true 22 LR bore size of .222, not the compromise bore size of .224 used for 22 LR revolvers made to also shoot 22 mags. I'm really hoping this 617 is as reliable and accurate as Bill's, but we'll have to see as soon as I get some serious range time with it.

Next, the Uberti Cattleman

This one is obviously as different as can be from the Smith 617 in form and function, but it's also been as different as can be as far as QC and reliability, too, compared to that 617, above. The action is smoother, the trigger is lighter in single action and the fit and finish really is amazing. Truly a beautiful revolver, but, as always, I love single actions, so I am biased, here.

Best of all, totally reliable ignition right out of the box. No light strike issues. Interestingly, this particular Cattelman also has the same true 22 LR bore size of .222" as the Smith. I got this one mostly for the longer 7 1/2" barrel for the sake of range shooting, so this one could very well match the 617 for accuracy. Much cheaper than the 617, too, at just under $600. Great value, when I consider it the better made gun.

One more note on this Cattleman, something I did not learn till after I bought it. This one is a Stoeger imported Uberti and that does make a difference as to warranty, since Stoeger is part of the Benelli/Berreta group that owns Uberti and brings Uberti into the US under UbertiUSA.

So which one will win? Which one will I keep or not keep? Anyone care to predict? Your preference? Let me know. Stayed tuned for later reports after I get some decent shooting weather.
6 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Two new 22 revolvers, the journey begins

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:11 pm

I'm a Single Action Fan as well, but couldn't guess. I think with both guns known for accuracy, it will depend on the shooter. Which gun is the shooter better with... SA or DA revolvers. :twisted: When I was a young Marine in NC, my neighbor was an old Marine, long retired. He was evil with his Model 27 Smith, but was Magic with the Ruger Single actions, he just liked them better. The man could barely walk, used a can. We had a stool stashed in the woods so he could sit. But boy could he shoot. ;)

I miss him.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:18 pm

I like them both NCG. Being a S&W fan, I like the 617 right off. It's too bad it had to go back. Hopefully it's fixed.
I like the idea of the 12 shot Cattleman. It will be interesting to see what happens when you shoot them in earnest.
I have a 4" 617 that I bought used. It is a very good revolver and is fun to shoot. I also have a pre-lock 6 shot 6" 617 that I really like. It's just a great revolver and I don't get out with it enough.

I am hoping the 617 comes out on top.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:51 pm

The Uberti is top in my book but then I’m partial to SA. Plus I don’t think I’ve ever owned a S&W. Maybe I should choose it as the keeper.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:53 pm

I lean toward the 617 as well. I am, for whatever reason, a S&W fan. I do however really like my Ruger single 10. I just need to shoot it more.
Have fun while making your decision.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:13 pm

Thanks, guys. The 617 is still sometimes used in competitions that offer a revolver class and, of course, it has the pedigree of the K-22 Masterpiece (later named the Model 17), which was one of the finest target revolvers ever made. Hey, I wouldn't have spent the big bucks on this 617 if I didn't know what a Smith 17/617 was all about.

Outside of silhouette, most people don't think about single actions as a choice for accuracy, but, hey, Freedom Arms makes their single action rimfire silhouette in the Model 83 22 LR that has always been the one to beat in the rimfire revolver class. I wouldn't bet against the smaller frame Model 97 with match chambers, either. Although Ruger Single Sixes aren't usually regarded as match grade, I've had a few that qualified as such as far as groups they could shoot. In other words, don't be too surprised at what the Uberti can do, even with the primitive Colt gutter sights.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:16 pm

Nice scores, be hard for me to buy a known problematic type firearm to start with, and I'm a SA revolver fan mostly anyway.
Have only owned a couple s&w's and only one has stayed around. It's nothing special or fancy, an old break-action 5 shot 32, and DA only.
It and a Rossi 22 lr, and an original Colt King Cobra 357 are the only double-actions I own these days.
So I'm rooting for the Uberti. ;) :lol:

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:52 pm

I have owned a 617 in a 4 inch and it shot very well. I own a Uberti 12 shot in 5.5 inch and I really like it. That 12 shots in a single action is way cool in my book. I did look at one time at trying to buy one in the 7.5 inch but just never did pull the trigger on one. Mine shoots really well and its favorite ammo is CCI Mini mags which happens to be my favorite ammo and the only ammo I will buy anymore for my pistols.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:04 pm

I’m rooting for the Uberti based on pretty alone. And I know how well you shoot everything but your love of those single actions…..well I suspect that it will stick around even if you do decide to keep the Smith.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:27 pm

I'm not revolver savvy enough to offer any advice, however, I really like your photo background composition. Have fun with your new plinkers. I hope they exceed your expectations, and you keep both of them!
0 x
Jeff