Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Two new 22 revolvers, the journey begins

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Two new 22 revolvers, the journey begins

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:22 pm

Thanks, again, folks. I'm enjoying these comments and thank-you, too, for the nice compliments. Oh, I'd like to claim that I am totally objective, but we all know how I love single actions. Still, I will forgive all sorts of things in a revolver if it proves to be accurate. We'll see how that goes.

And to further muddy the water, there are some DA revolvers that I absolutely love for their handling, smooth DA triggers and, of course, great accuracy. Must be why I own several. :)
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:57 pm

I suppose you might keep them both. However if you do decide to keep just one, hopefully the Uberti out shoots the 617.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:25 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:22 pm
Thanks, again, folks. I'm enjoying these comments and thank-you, too, for the nice compliments. Oh, I'd like to claim that I am totally objective, but we all know how I love single actions. Still, I will forgive all sorts of things in a revolver if it proves to be accurate. We'll see how that goes.

And to further muddy the water, there are some DA revolvers that I absolutely love for their handling, smooth DA triggers and, of course, great accuracy. Must be why I own several. :)
I'm a single action fan myself, but with the exception of my Custom PPC Competition revolver, the most accurate wheel gun I own is my Colt Diamondback 22. (Though, I have a new Python I haven't gotten a chance to push yet.) ;)

I've had others come close, but the Diamondback had always been a tackdriver.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:10 am

I don't know about the 617 as I have a 17-4 8 3/8' and a first year K-22 Outdoorsman with the low back site and windage screw on each side. Although only six shot these two have never failed to fire and the old Smiths with the pinned barrels have excellent workmanship. If your single action shoots to poa then I could see hanging on to it.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:31 am

I’ve had a couple of 617’s over the years, a 4” and a 6”. No longer have either and somewhat regret selling them. I did find that they both seemed to get “gummed up” rather quickly. Seems like after about a 100 rounds or so I could hardly empty the cylinder. Both were 10 shot cylinders which may have contributed to the gumminess. I only shot CCI mini-mags, never bulk ammo. Also with the 10 shot cylinder it seemed like it took me a week to clean them. :lol: I never owned a six shot so I can’t speak to wether that would been easier to keep clean.

But, I sure loved the accuracy and the feel of those revolvers. And the patridge front sight was a plus too. NCG, enjoy those beauties as I know you will.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:38 am

NCG....don't write off the Uberti too quickly. Uberti/Cimarron have raised their quality level to match Colt with the six guns....at least the cylinder throats come the right size on a 45. compared to a Colt. S&W now days is over rated but you can get a good one right out the box with like a .357
But the 12 shooter .22 does well with the CCI Mini Mags as I found. I also did some action work with it and now it works smoother but you have to load it 3 skip 1 and then 8 then let hammer down on an empty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:42 pm

Some great feedback, guys.

I have a lot of experience with older 17s, too, as well as a variety of 617 vintages. Everything mentioned is spot on. The vintage 17s are wonderful. Have had some beauties. The full shroud on the 617 does make a for a better target revolver as far as steadiness, so that's what I like for target work, plus I always hated to put a lot of wear and tear on the vintage 17s. Smiths with locks I just shoot, no worries. That's what they are for.

On the other hand, yeah, I hate cleaning 617s 10 shots because they do gum up fast. You gotta keep them clean, though, to keep them reliable. A Ruger Mark, they are not. I don't have a lot of patience left for S&W, now, so this 617 had better perform or else.

forty, I could not agree more on Uberti single actions. I love that the throats on my 45 Colt Cattleman are correctly sized for shooting lead, right out of the box. Why Ruger refuses to address the issue of 45 Colt throat size, decade after decade is so darn frustrating. This is my second 12 shot Cattleman. I had the 5 1/2" that I let go and immediately regretted it, so this 7 1/2" is its replacement. I also own a 357 Cattleman, plus a Pietta 357 Colt clone. Hey, I love Rugers, BUT I've had much better luck with the Italian stuff than I have with Rugers as far as QC, triggers, fit and finish and even accuracy. No matter how it shoots, I doubt I'll let this new Cattleman go anywhere.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:42 pm

Speaking of Uberti 45 Colts, not one I shoot too often, but nice to have when I want to get fancy.

2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:48 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:38 am
NCG....don't write off the Uberti too quickly. Uberti/Cimarron have raised their quality level to match Colt with the six guns....at least the cylinder throats come the right size on a 45. compared to a Colt. S&W now days is over rated but you can get a good one right out the box with like a .357
But the 12 shooter .22 does well with the CCI Mini Mags as I found. I also did some action work with it and now it works smoother but you have to load it 3 skip 1 and then 8 then let hammer down on an empty.
Nice shootin there Forty. Im glad you found out about the mini mags
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:56 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:42 pm
Speaking of Uberti 45 Colts, not one I shoot too often, but nice to have when I want to get fancy.
I also have Uberti 45 Colt. though mine is color case hardened with brass trigger plate and grip frame.
I also have a 1947 S&W K22 Model 17 6 shooter.
Both are good shooters.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234