Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Two new 22 revolvers, the journey begins

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Two new 22 revolvers, the journey begins

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:27 am

If I walk down to the lake at the end of our property, I am the legal 200 yard distance from another house, so it's legal for me to shoot. I do test fire guns down there for function sometimes, but that's all black spruce tangles/bog, so no place to actually set up a range.

Back up closer to the house we have our air gun range ad that's totally legal, so we do a lot of air gun shooting.
3 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:40 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:27 am
If I walk down to the lake at the end of our property, I am the legal 200 yard distance from another house, so it's legal for me to shoot. I do test fire guns down there for function sometimes, but that's all black spruce tangles/bog, so no place to actually set up a range.

Back up closer to the house we have our air gun range ad that's totally legal, so we do a lot of air gun shooting.
I'm hoping to have a small range built officially in late spring. I have a sweet spot that I use now that's NY's legal distance from both neighbors. Both don't mind if I shoot, so it's not really an issue. Neighbors change, so I plan to build at the sweet spot. In our area, a few years ago when I moved there, the whole neighborhood shot on Sunday in the backyards. Not so much now.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:57 am

Good for you, Dave. You're right about neighbors. You really have no control over who you get for neighbors, but always best to play it safe and stay legal, just in case.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:14 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:40 am
North Country Gal wrote:

I'm hoping to have a small range built officially in late spring. I have a sweet spot that I use now that's NY's legal distance from both neighbors. Both don't mind if I shoot, so it's not really an issue. Neighbors change, so I plan to build at the sweet spot. In our area, a few years ago when I moved there, the whole neighborhood shot on Sunday in the backyards. Not so much now.
I hear shooting a few times a month. Most people here shoot or at least have a few firearms. I have a berm pushed up at 50 and a new one at 100 yards. I make it well known no bullets leave my property. Since 90% of what I shoot is rimfire most can’t even hear it.

One neighbor works in Madison and comes here on weekends. Actually she is on for seven and then off for seven. She told me she hears more gunfire in the city than here. Sad.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:50 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:14 pm
daytime dave wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:40 am
North Country Gal wrote:

I hear shooting a few times a month. Most people here shoot or at least have a few firearms. I have a berm pushed up at 50 and a new one at 100 yards. I make it well known no bullets leave my property. Since 90% of what I shoot is rimfire most can’t even hear it.

One neighbor works in Madison and comes here on weekends. Actually she is on for seven and then off for seven. She told me she hears more gunfire in the city than here. Sad.
Not surprised. When we lived in Milwaukee, we lived in a nice NW suburb, but not far from us was a pretty nasty neighborhood. We heard gunshots at night all the time and when we had gangs driving down our street and shooting guns out the window, we knew it was time to get out. Bill finally retired shortly after and we moved as far from the big city as we could get and have never regretted it. When Del Gue suggested Jeremiah should maybe move down to a town, Jeremiah says, "I've been to a town, Del."
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:47 pm

Agreed. The shots in my neighborhood are for sport, pleasure and obtaining wild game. In the cities, the shots are always in anger and unwelcome. Fortunately the two worlds don't meet. I think it's a universal given that my unlocked door is meant for friends and certain family to stop by anytime. Everyone else knows better............
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member