Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

It's rare to have a chance at two of your holy grail guns.

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

It's rare to have a chance at two of your holy grail guns.

Post by DsGrouse » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:05 am

What's my holy grail gun? It's a Ted Yost (estate sporting limited) 1965 Browning Hi-Power T-series.
I've had a number of T-series high powers. All but one had been shot to hell. In the older series, if you use too much +p, +P+ or heavy subsonic ammo, you can round the lock lugs over on the barrel and the slide, which makes it a very costly repair. Back in 2015 ish, my LGS had a 1965 T-series sitting in the case, no box, no papers, used.

After a quick inspection, I took it home. It didn't take me long to get it into Estate Sporting Limited queue. After Ted worked his magic, this is the final result.
45lpi front and read strap checkering, his trigger, safety, and sight. It's superb. This is the gun I pull out when I want to grin like a six-year-old does on Christmas morning.

A few years later, I ran across a MKIII, that had some work done, and the work wasn't done well. It was cheap, very cheap. I talked to Richard Fletcher of Fletcher Custom Guns here in VA. He took the project on, and let me tell you, it's as nice a shooter as the the Estate Sporting Limited.

I went with a more durable finish (black DLC) with new sights; he fixed the beaver tail, improved the front and back stippling, removed the ambi safety, and fitted a KKM 357 sig barrel to the slide. To say that I am happy with the work is an understatement. This is an amazing high power that settles both the 40 and 357 sig down as you shoot.

Here is the pair together

So, if my grail gun is a T-series, how did I end up with two?

Friends who know my proclivities. The LGS that sold me the original T-series retired this year, but his old clients keep in touch.

He asked me if i wanted a hi-power.

You see where this is going.

After assuring him that I am broke.

I struck a deal with the owner for this, another 1965 T-Series. I waited over the weekend and sealed the deal at a local FFL transfer place.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: It's rare to have a chance at two of your holy grail guns.

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:17 am

Congrats. Ive always liked those Brownings but have never owned one.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:38 am

Those are great looking Brownings you have. Congratualtions on the latest one.

Like Al, I have always liked their looks and feel, but I've only seen a couple of Hi-powers for sale ever. I didn't get them either.

Good for you. I'm glad you weren't too broke either. :lol: :D :P
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:20 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:38 am
Those are great looking Brownings you have. Congratualtions on the latest one.

Like Al, I have always liked their looks and feel, but I've only seen a couple of Hi-powers for sale ever. I didn't get them either.

Good for you. I'm glad you weren't too broke either. :lol: :D :P
The wife surprised me. I didn't have to ask her. She said buy it.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:40 pm

I'm another shooter who has never owned a Hi Power, but always loved the looks. Those are truly beautiful Brownings.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:14 am

I traded for a HiPower once, a classic in Mint Condition. The friend who owned it really wanted a gun that I had and I didn't want to let go of. His gun, and MINE were both tack drivers. After much back and forth, we finally made the trade. We shot PPC together several times per month in the league and the trade lasted less than a month. We were BOTH happy with the new addition to the stable, but mourned the losses. We traded back.

I never found another HiPower to compare so have never bought another.
(I never found another HiPower to compare that was within my financial grasp. :lol: A few beautiful guns have crossed my path, but they were priced accordingly by the sellers.)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:40 am

Looks like you are on a roll with finding those very nice Hi Powers ! Enjoy!!
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:33 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:14 am
I traded for a HiPower once, a classic in Mint Condition. The friend who owned it really wanted a gun that I had and I didn't want to let go of. His gun, and MINE were both tack drivers. After much back and forth, we finally made the trade. We shot PPC together several times per month in the league and the trade lasted less than a month. We were BOTH happy with the new addition to the stable, but mourned the losses. We traded back.

I never found another HiPower to compare so have never bought another.
(I never found another HiPower to compare that was within my financial grasp. :lol: A few beautiful guns have crossed my path, but they were priced accordingly by the sellers.)

It's certainly a unique gun, and it was never a cheap gun. I think this caused it issues back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and even 90's. They were twice as much as a comparable smith, three times as much as a Ruger, then as the polymer craze hit, they were twice as much as a Glock with less rounds and funny mags.

In *my* hand though, there are few modern guns that compare. The Ted Yost pistol still rocks its original barrel. He recrowned it.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:29 pm

The hi power is still the standard sidearm for Aus defense forces although they have selected SIG as a replacement.
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:11 am

220 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:29 pm
The hi power is still the standard sidearm for Aus defense forces although they have selected SIG as a replacement.
I want to get to the range to shoot it, but I'm slammed with crap to do for this book launch.
0 x