Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag and about time!

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag and about time!

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:00 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:05 pm
Thanks again, guys.

This will be a range gun, then, and I am still shooting as much as our weather allows. Thanks for the heads up on the Underwood factory ammo, Gunny. Yes, I've had great luck with that brand in other calibers, so I'll pick up a couple of boxes. Will try out some less expensive target loads for most of my range work, though, assuming I can find some.
I just looked for .41RM on Ammoseek, and it's all going to be pricey no matter what. Lowest I saw was 71cents/rnd, and even SWC cowboy loads were $1/rnd. I haven't bought any in 3 or 4 years, so I was surprised at the prices today.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:27 pm

Thanks, Gunny. Same thing on prices I found when doing my homework before picking up the Blackhawk. My main concern was availability of factory ammo and, surprisingly, it's actually better now for the 41 mag than it's been in past years. Seems to be a little more interest in 41 mag, these days. After all these years, go figure. At this point, I just want enough ammo to shoot the 41 mag when I get the itch. I have other single actions in other calibers when I want to do more shooting. Gotta say, though, I really like the balance of this Blackhawk as a range gun with its 6 1/2" barrel. Would have been great for deer, too, back in the day.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:45 pm

Very nice. Congratulations for a great find.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:22 pm

Thanks, Ernie.
0 x

JVogler
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JVogler » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:45 pm

Congratulations on the new acquisition. Hope you can find ammo to shoot as often as you like.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:17 pm

Thanks, I'm already starting to stockpile 41 mag ammo. :)
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:31 pm

That is a great find NCG. Like others have said, it couldn't have gone to a better home. Congrats!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:47 pm

Some bad news after my first range trip with the 41 mag. After the first 10 shots, the cylinder started getting hung up as I pulled the hammer. The hammer then just locked up tight and the gun wouldn't cock at all. Took it back to the shop and had my friend who is quite the amateur gunsmith tale a look and he thought it was the transfer bar sticking and binding. Regardless, the shop offered to pack it up and send it into Ruger for repair, so I wouldn't have the hassle of shipping it on my own. Okay, I won't be shooting it for awhile, but in the meantime I will be getting more ammo. As for shooting, it looks to be a real keeper as far as accuracy. Recoil was about the same as my 44 mag Super Blackhawk, given that the Blackhawk with its shorter barrel and aluminum grip frame is a lighter gun.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:48 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:47 pm
Some bad news after my first range trip with the 41 mag. After the first 10 shots, the cylinder started getting hung up as I pulled the hammer. The hammer then just locked up tight and the gun wouldn't cock at all. Took it back to the shop and had my friend who is quite the amateur gunsmith tale a look and he thought it was the transfer bar sticking and binding. Regardless, the shop offered to pack it up and send it into Ruger for repair, so I wouldn't have the hassle of shipping it on my own. Okay, I won't be shooting it for awhile, but in the meantime I will be getting more ammo. As for shooting, it looks to be a real keeper as far as accuracy. Recoil was about the same as my 44 mag Super Blackhawk, given that the Blackhawk with its shorter barrel and aluminum grip frame is a lighter gun.
Well at least you got to introduce yourself. Never had a lick of trouble with mine. Probably a 1000rnds over the last 25 years. I'm sure Ruger will fix whatever is messed up.

That said I have a repro percussion gun, that got jammed up like that from a piece of a cap that worked it's way inside. Took me a while to even find the thin little piece that was causing the trouble.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.