Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Training - One handed training, both hands.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Training - One handed training, both hands.

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:31 am

:roll:

Sore Subject For Many, but it was brought to mind again when I read a blurb somewhere. Good points made by the author, but he left out some I used to cover in my academy class for the officers, and my coverage on the subject in my CCW classes. With ammo getting more expensive and harder to come by these days, we don't go to the range and plink or just burn a couple boxes like we used to. I would hope that we focus on making at least some of the ammo we expend count as training.

MOST shooters tend to focus on shooting the "drills" they shoot well, especially if there are others on the range that will see their targets. It's human nature, we don't want to be embarrassed by sloppy groups. When I went thru the academy as a recruit, I was proud of my nice tight groups, I had earned them the hard way, with lot's of practice over many years. The academy instructor came up behind me and said, "YOU aren't shooting fast enough in this drill, we are supposed to be pushing." I told him that I had finished well before the whistle. "YOU aren't pushing yourself. Your groups tell me that. I know you have competitive experience. I want to see you push. Your groups will open when you push, or I'll hear one continuous rolling shot and you'll still have a tight group. Then I'll be impressed ..." ;) I pushed harder, the groups opened a bit. :twisted:

The article I read focused on an aspect that many ignore completely these days, ONE handed shooting. (Unless you shoot bullseye, and then you are already likely very good at one handed shooting, with your STRONG hand.) Think about your day to day activities. You carry packages, you open doors, you lift things, you have hands in a pocket or around the wife or holding the hand of a child. You may only have one hand clear and a short time to react. So... fire a magazine or cylinder one handed at short distance and see how well you can center the shots. Note: I said center the shots.

Most shooters won't get a nice group on the first try. One trick when you make that first attempt... (Don't draw from the holster at first.... maybe come from low ready if you like. Baby steps.) Slightly cant the top of the firearm to the center of the body, just a few degrees, say ten to fifteen or so. If you are firing strong hand. This will tighten the muscles of the forearm and help with recoil control.

Try it dry firing first, with an empty firearm. Then firing single rounds. Then doubles. You may lean into those shots just a bit more as well. Shifting the weight a bit more forward when shooting one handed, especially in doubles, will help a lot with recoil control. *

The title says One handed training, both hands. That doesn't mean two handed, I meant to shoot one handed with both the Strong and Weak hands. When shooting weak handed you may need to tilt the top of the firearm toward center just a bit more to get the sights in line with the dominant eye. NOT the Gangster tilt with the gun tilted 90 degrees, perhaps 30 degrees off vertical to align the sights. If you are shooting weak handed make sure if you are shooting in the modified isosceles, to reverse your feet for weak hand shooting.

I have an advantage. Several actually. I taught this skill in the academy, and shot it for qualification. I incorporated it into my officer's qualification course. Six shots one handed at 3 yards. Not much you'd think... but they had to learn that skill. My big advantage is I have a private range on which to practice. I don't have to worry about trying to impress anyone if I push, and my groups aren't impressive. :lol: Impressing others was never my concern, really. I practiced and pushed to insure I survived the tours and came home at night, and could pass the skills on to those I instructed.

Give it some thought. A few rounds each session could make a difference. Thoughts and comments are welcome.

* I don't recommend canting the firearm during normal strong side one handed shooting, such as target shooting or bullseye shooting. This technique is use for the control of recoil when immediate follow up shots may be needed. Combined with the weight shift forward, many find it effective.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Training - One handed training, both hands.

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:38 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:31 am
:roll:

Sore Subject For Many, but it was brought to mind again when I read a blurb somewhere. Good points made by the author, but he left out some I used to cover in my academy class for the officers, and my coverage on the subject in my CCW classes. With ammo getting more expensive and harder to come by these days, we don't go to the range and plink or just burn a couple boxes like we used to. I would hope that we focus on making at least some of the ammo we expend count as training.

MOST shooters tend to focus on shooting the "drills" they shoot well, especially if there are others on the range that will see their targets. It's human nature, we don't want to be embarrassed by sloppy groups. When I went thru the academy as a recruit, I was proud of my nice tight groups, I had earned them the hard way, with lot's of practice over many years. The academy instructor came up behind me and said, "YOU aren't shooting fast enough in this drill, we are supposed to be pushing." I told him that I had finished well before the whistle. "YOU aren't pushing yourself. Your groups tell me that. I know you have competitive experience. I want to see you push. Your groups will open when you push, or I'll hear one continuous rolling shot and you'll still have a tight group. Then I'll be impressed ..." ;) I pushed harder, the groups opened a bit. :twisted:

The article I read focused on an aspect that many ignore completely these days, ONE handed shooting. (Unless you shoot bullseye, and then you are already likely very good at one handed shooting, with your STRONG hand.) Think about your day to day activities. You carry packages, you open doors, you lift things, you have hands in a pocket or around the wife or holding the hand of a child. You may only have one hand clear and a short time to react. So... fire a magazine or cylinder one handed at short distance and see how well you can center the shots. Note: I said center the shots.

Most shooters won't get a nice group on the first try. One trick when you make that first attempt... (Don't draw from the holster at first.... maybe come from low ready if you like. Baby steps.) Slightly cant the top of the firearm to the center of the body, just a few degrees, say ten to fifteen or so. If you are firing strong hand. This will tighten the muscles of the forearm and help with recoil control.

Try it dry firing first, with an empty firearm. Then firing single rounds. Then doubles. You may lean into those shots just a bit more as well. Shifting the weight a bit more forward when shooting one handed, especially in doubles, will help a lot with recoil control. *

The title says One handed training, both hands. That doesn't mean two handed, I meant to shoot one handed with both the Strong and Weak hands. When shooting weak handed you may need to tilt the top of the firearm toward center just a bit more to get the sights in line with the dominant eye. NOT the Gangster tilt with the gun tilted 90 degrees, perhaps 30 degrees off vertical to align the sights. If you are shooting weak handed make sure if you are shooting in the modified isosceles, to reverse your feet for weak hand shooting.

I have an advantage. Several actually. I taught this skill in the academy, and shot it for qualification. I incorporated it into my officer's qualification course. Six shots one handed at 3 yards. Not much you'd think... but they had to learn that skill. My big advantage is I have a private range on which to practice. I don't have to worry about trying to impress anyone if I push, and my groups aren't impressive. :lol: Impressing others was never my concern, really. I practiced and pushed to insure I survived the tours and came home at night, and could pass the skills on to those I instructed.

Give it some thought. A few rounds each session could make a difference. Thoughts and comments are welcome.

* I don't recommend canting the firearm during normal strong side one handed shooting, such as target shooting or bullseye shooting. This technique is use for the control of recoil when immediate follow up shots may be needed. Combined with the weight shift forward, many find it effective.
I'd suggest videoing your session(s) also for later critical review, especially if you don't have a coach watching you. You can learn a lot by watching yourself screw up. ;)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:18 am

Excellent advice Gunny. You can watch for easily correctable issue and make changes in your next sessions. Then DELETE your video so it doesn't accidently make it to YouTube, or America's Funniest Home Videos. :twisted: There is a very good suggestion hidden in there. Shoot with a coach if you have one. I mostly shoot alone these days... but in my competition days, I tried to shoot with someone BETTER than I was. To challenge myself, and to learn. But I found we both learned...
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:55 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:18 am
Excellent advice Gunny. You can watch for easily correctable issue and make changes in your next sessions. Then DELETE your video so it doesn't accidently make it to YouTube, or America's Funniest Home Videos. :twisted: There is a very good suggestion hidden in there. Shoot with a coach if you have one. I mostly shoot alone these days... but in my competition days, I tried to shoot with someone BETTER than I was. To challenge myself, and to learn. But I found we both learned...
Even with a coach, video is useful. You can both critique it, and your coach will likely see/point out some things you don't. Video editing software is readily available, and even free, and allows you to playback in slow mo, zoom in, etc. I would have loved to have had this capability 50 years ago. :) SD cards for a camera are cheap and will hold up to 256GB of video. That's about an hour worth, depending on camera settings. I just transfer it from the camera to my PC for editing/saving.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:42 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:55 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:18 am
Even with a coach, video is useful. You can both critique it, and your coach will likely see/point out some things you don't. Video editing software is readily available, and even free, and allows you to playback in slow mo, zoom in, etc. I would have loved to have had this capability 50 years ago. :) SD cards for a camera are cheap and will hold up to 256GB of video. That's about an hour worth, depending on camera settings. I just transfer it from the camera to my PC for editing/saving.
I agree completely.
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:43 pm

Excellent reminder! It's been a while since I practiced one handed and weak hand shooting in my range sessions. It sure is humbling when I do!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:07 am

5shot wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:43 pm
Excellent reminder! It's been a while since I practiced one handed and weak hand shooting in my range sessions. It sure is humbling when I do!
But each time you do, you benefit. :P
1 x