Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Loading a SA Revolver

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Loading a SA Revolver

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:54 pm

I normally shoot left handed so the pistol is in my left hand by default. When I reload the loading is done with my right hand. My question is why was it designed that way? Aren’t most people right handed? I’m guessing you switch hands when loading.

I don’t have a lot of experience with DA but if I remember right you hold it in your right hand and load with the left.

Maybe I should only shoot break-tops where it doesn’t matter.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Loading a SA Revolver

Post by markiver54 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:22 pm

I personally hold either SA or DA with my left hand and load with my right. That is easiest for me in a non stress situation.
SA, the gun is lying on its left side in my left hand.
DA, the gun is lying on its right side in my left hand.
I am right handed, but, if I were left handed, I assume it would be just the opposite.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Loading a SA Revolver

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:45 pm

My guess is that out goes back to percussion revolvers. The cut out was put on the right side probably because it's easier for right handed users - the majority of users - to handle and load those tiny percussion caps with their right hand on the right side of the gun. Being right-handed, I can see this logic. I think it would be very difficult for me to load those tiny percussion caps on the left side.

When revolvers went to cartridges, a lot of those percussion revolvers were converted to cartridge guns. Since they already had the cut out on the right side, I suspect no one saw the need to change things.

I think I could probably load a single action revolver on the left side with cartridges, though, given that cartridges are a lot easier to handle than those little percussion caps. Single action revolver purists, though, would have a heart attack these days if anyone messed with the traditional SA design. Some of them have fits just seeing adjustable sights on a Colt. :)
3 x