S&W Shield EZ's at my LGS

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: S&W Shield EZ's at my LGS

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:38 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:00 am
My EDC is a Springfield Armory XD-S which is almost identical to the Shield. When I bought it, I looked at both. I opted for the XD-S because it has a fibre optic front site. Also ambidextrous mag release. Have had none of the issues mentioned by Gunny either.
Just to note: The mag button on the EZ is a known issue, not just on my gun. It's due to the button size and light spring in the assy., which is also easily reversible for lefties. I did order a stronger spring for mine from Wolff, but the ones that showed up were almost twice as long as the factory spring, and simply wouldn't fit. They were very low cost, so I'm not even going to bother with contacting Wolff about it. I'll just live with the factory spring, since it's not a carry piece for me anyway.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:49 pm

Understood Gunny.
I must say, I do like the grips on the EZ over mine.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:17 pm

My "utility carry" is the Springfield XDE in .45 ACP. Nice and compact for a single stack .45 and lighter than my Ruger 1911 plus has great sights with options on carrying it safe with one in the chamber. I carry it with first trigger pull in DA mode and then the other shots are SA. Shoots very well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:32 pm

Nice shooting thete forty.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:57 pm

I like the concealability of a single stack. Heck, if I haven't gotten the job done with 7,8 or 9 shots then something is very wrong. Very few shots are exchanged in any real life combat situation.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:02 pm

markiver54 wrote:
My EDC is a Springfield Armory XD-S which is almost identical to the Shield. When I bought it, I looked at both. I opted for the XD-S because it has a fibre optic front site. Also ambidextrous mag release. Have had none of the issues mentioned by Gunny either.
That's what I carried before getting my PX4c. Nice gun, very comfortable to carry but unfortunately I couldn't become accurate with it. Must have been me, lots of people on the Springfield forum said it was very accurate.

I wish I could try the XD-E as I prefer DA/SA over striker fired for carry. Don't know if I would be accurate with it as it's similar in size to the XD-S but I do see that it is available with a 4.5" barrel.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:28 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:57 pm
I like the concealability of a single stack. Heck, if I haven't gotten the job done with 7,8 or 9 shots then something is very wrong. Very few shots are exchanged in any real life combat situation.
A piece of advice from a old retired professional statistician (me). Do not rely on probabilities in matters of personal life and death, unless you have no choice. :)
Last edited by GunnyGene on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:41 pm

You are not the only one Dave. I have owned an SA and shot others. I am not accurate at all with those as well as a Glock. I gave up all my semi auto carry guns. Ruger LCRX in 38 special works for me. Carry extra rounds with me on those Bianci speed strips.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:00 pm

dave77 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:02 pm
markiver54 wrote:
That's what I carried before getting my PX4c. Nice gun, very comfortable to carry but unfortunately I couldn't become accurate with it. Must have been me, lots of people on the Springfield forum said it was very accurate.

I wish I could try the XD-E as I prefer DA/SA over striker fired for carry. Don't know if I would be accurate with it as it's similar in size to the XD-S but I do see that it is available with a 4.5" barrel.
I must admit, I agree with you Dave on the accuracy, however, I mostly blame myself...I think.
I'm thinking of trying a green laser Crimson Trace on it.
Don't want to get rid of it, as it conceals very well.
I also think the very thin grip might not be quite right for my hand. Quick purchase of the pistol is almost always off.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:16 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:00 pm
I must admit, I agree with you Dave on the accuracy, however, I mostly blame myself...I think.
I'm thinking of trying a green laser Crimson Trace on it.
Don't want to get rid of it, as it conceals very well.
I also think the very thin grip might not be quite right for my hand. Quick purchase of the pistol is almost always off.
I had a green Crimson Trace laser on mine and I didn't think it helped much. The sights were fine, I think I just couldn't find a good hold due to the narrow grip. I was able to shoot both my Beretta's fairly accurately right out of the box. Here's a 7 yd, 15rd. fairly rapid fire result with my PX4 compact after I got the laser sighted in. Target size is standard copy paper, the hole at the top out of the rings was my first DA shot. Even after several hundred rounds with the XDS I would have some shots clear off the paper. At close range I think I shoot my PX4 compact better than my full size Beretta M9A3, they say the PX4's rotating barrel makes for a gentler recoil and less muzzle rise.

0 x