Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

S&W Shield EZ's at my LGS

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

S&W Shield EZ's at my LGS

Post by dave77 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:02 am

Went to my local hardware/gun store (they actually sell just about everything but groceries) and I usually go to the back and check out the inventory. No ammo and a very slim selection of handguns but was surprised to see at least 15 S&W Shield EZ's in both .380 and 9mm and at close to MSRP. My friend is very tempted to get one but without be able to shoot one is kind of wary. She would maybe do fine with it but I know I had difficulty shooting a single stack gun compared to my double stack PX4c.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: S&W Shield EZ's at my LGS

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:19 am

dave77 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:02 am
Went to my local hardware/gun store (they actually sell just about everything but groceries) and I usually go to the back and check out the inventory. No ammo and a very slim selection of handguns but was surprised to see at least 15 S&W Shield EZ's in both .380 and 9mm and at close to MSRP. My friend is very tempted to get one but without be able to shoot one is kind of wary. She would maybe do fine with it but I know I had difficulty shooting a single stack gun compared to my double stack PX4c.
Bought one for my wife about a month ago (9mm). Nice little shooter, but has some quirks. Reassembly - you have to make sure the guide rod is properly positioned and that you're not holding the grip safety when putting the slide back on or you'll never get it on. This is covered in the user manual, but takes some getting used to.

Also the mag release button is very sensitive and will drop the mag if your thumb slips down when shooting, or the holster presses it at all it will drop the mag. Could be a problem if it's going to be carry gun.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

beaverislander
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by beaverislander » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:32 am

After carrying a 342PD j-frame for 18 years I replaced it with a 9mm EZ, because of arthritis and recoil.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:33 am

Thanks for that info Gene, I have wanted to check them out after a friend was talking about them.
But I wouldn't like the fact that the mag is likely to come out so easily.
I will still take a gander when I see one, but will keep this in mind.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:49 am

The big draw for the EZ's is of course the comparatively light slide racking. But if that's your only reason to buy one there is an alternative for most semi-auto's - primarily for range use, or initial loading if you carry with one in the pipe. Handi-Racker, which I covered in this post a while back: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10592 .
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

beaverislander
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by beaverislander » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:14 am

When I first started carrying the EZ I dropped a mag in my truck by where you fasten the seat belt. I had bought a $50 generic holster off of Amazon, nothing to be proud of but I needed something quick. The EZ has a laser on it and it's hard to find a good holster for that combination and I am still waiting for a custom holster to be made. Long story short, try to find something that protects the mag release.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:02 am

Another plus for revolvers. Even though they generally have less capacity, they are generally point and shoot. Unless in a war zone or law enforcement situation, they should fit the bill for self-defense (2 or 4 legged threats) or target practice. Anyway, that is the reason why I prefer them for my wife and I.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:20 am

GFK wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:02 am
Another plus for revolvers. Even though they generally have less capacity, they are generally point and shoot. Unless in a war zone or law enforcement situation, they should fit the bill for self-defense (2 or 4 legged threats) or target practice. Anyway, that is the reason why I prefer them for my wife and I.
I typically carry a semi these days, although not always. I have, and still do, carry a wheel gun occasionally (even in a war zone) depending on what the plans for the day are when I get up in the morning. It's great that we still have those kinds of options, isn't it. :D
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:34 am

I have been losing my ability to rack slides and also to see iron sights. Adding a compact holo sight to a full sized pistol solved both problems. It does add complications for daily carry, but my great big CZ P10F Optic Ready with a compact tactical light still fits nicely in my Tommy’s Gunpack (size Large). A large frame 9mm shoots super soft and easy, and racking the slide by slapping the optic works OK, much easier than pinching and gripping the slide... having a 19+1 capacity is reassuring in these troubled times.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:00 am

My EDC is a Springfield Armory XD-S which is almost identical to the Shield. When I bought it, I looked at both. I opted for the XD-S because it has a fibre optic front site. Also ambidextrous mag release. Have had none of the issues mentioned by Gunny either.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry