Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Colt King Cobra

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Colt King Cobra

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:43 am

I just placed an online order for a new revolver. It was a toss up between a Ruger SP101 and this Colt, but since it will very likely be the last gun I ever buy, I followed my heart and chose the higher priced Colt Cobra Carry (2" barrel).

5 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

rugrat
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Colt King Cobra

Post by rugrat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:00 pm

Very nice!
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Very nice indeed!
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:00 pm

I like these a lot, but they have had some pretty serious issues, the quality control seems spotty. I am not sure I would trust Colt to put it right. Ruger OTH, no worries there. I have an SP101 in .327, it needed trigger tuning (springs, shims,) but has otherwise been stellar.

Do the cylinders turn clockwise on these? That would confuse me.

Look your Colt over very closely before filling out your paperwork. Good luck, and post some pictures.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:32 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:00 pm
Look your Colt over very closely before filling out your paperwork.
I will do that and even ask the gunsmith/FFL to offer his valued opinion before I complete the transfer. I've read the good and the bad reports, so it isn't as if I'm not just a little bit nervous about it. I bought it from Bud's and added their lifetime warranty to the purchase, but I would prefer it if that extra cost was just for unnecessary insurance. I'm expecting it will all be OK, but will surely post pics and give impressions and, of course, report any problems after the sale.

Hickock45 liked the 3" version quite a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E15nHyhkkk
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

rugrat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rugrat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:37 pm

Usually colt handgun cylinders rotate clockwise and s&w and ruger handgun cylinders rotate counter clockwise. That is if things have not changed recently.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:46 pm

looking forward to your assessment .... if I buy another hand gun it will most likely be a 4" barrel GP100 357 .... that said, I'd have no trouble taking a good luck at a Colt
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:57 pm

CT, I bought one of the new Cobra Colts when they first came out and was impressed, but, of course, I gave it a thorough inspection before buying. (New production Colts are not on my list of brands I will buy sight unseen.) The only issue I had was that it shot low with the factory sights. Usually not a problem for me with fixed sight guns that shoot low, since I just file down the front sight as needed, but this version had the fiber optic front sight, so, of course, I couldn't file it down. Nice SA and DA trigger and plenty accurate, though. Sold it off when I purged most of our DA revolver collection to invest in more single actions.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:51 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:57 pm
CT, I bought one of the new Cobra Colts when they first came out and was impressed, but, of course, I gave it a thorough inspection before buying. (New production Colts are not on my list of brands I will buy sight unseen.) The only issue I had was that it shot low with the factory sights. Usually not a problem for me with fixed sight guns that shoot low, since I just file down the front sight as needed, but this version had the fiber optic front sight, so, of course, I couldn't file it down. Nice SA and DA trigger and plenty accurate, though. Sold it off when I purged most of our DA revolver collection to invest in more single actions.
Thanks for your assessment, NCG. Yours is an important opinion. As I understand it, the front sight is replaceable, though what options exist I haven't explored yet. I'm not in your league and never will be, so I certainly wouldn't be aware of the fine characteristics of a proper inspection. I will, however, have the benefit of assistance by an experienced firearms appraiser who will be acting as my FFL and I will rely on his opinion as if I would rely on yours. If it all goes south anyway, well, I did pay for a lifetime warranty that I hope will soften my disappointment.

What I like about it is both, the size and the construction of the grip, the snubby barrel, it's a DA/SA, and it functions just like my 1956 Colt Official Police .38 Special, but is built for .357 magnum rounds. And, of course, that it is a Colt. I've read that it has a good trigger and a more than tolerable recoil with full magnum rounds. I may never carry it for defense, but it could be done.

I'm obviously hoping to make a satisfactory report. Stay tuned.
0 x

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:12 pm

Sweet congrats on your Colt buy.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.