Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cleaning Two of my Favs

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Cleaning Two of my Favs

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:04 pm

I spent a bit of time at the cleaning bench a couple days ago. I have a corner of the home office set up for my cleaning and armorer work. I am far from a gunsmith, though I did get certified as a Glock Armorer while I was an instructor for the Department. I could rebuild a Glock from Scratch if I had to, and did all the inspections. Never had to replace any parts due to failure, but did replace a few pins/springs for prevention of failure.

My "Rabbi" taught me some revolver work when we were carrying Model 64s when I first graduated from the academy. I could strip the 64s down to the frame; removing the springs and other components and break down the cylinder assembly for inspection and cleaning. I would NOT remove barrels, or attempt to install new ones. That task went back to the Gunny, my "Rabbi" who had been to the "Smith and Wesson Academy" and was certified to do that level work. He had signed off on my disassembly and inspection of the guns for cleaning. Any defects I found? The guns went to HIM for repair and recert. :)

My bench in the New House:

1 my cleaning bench.jpg

On the left side of the bench is my Armorer's Box I built before I left VA... when the wife saw it in progress, she thought I was building a nice jewelry box for sale or a gift for someone. Should have seen the look on her face when she found out it was "basically" a tool box. Very expensive tool box for very expensive tools. :lol:

02 gunsmith box.jpg

There is a closet on the end of the box that holds the cleaning rods and jags for each caliber. They hang on spent cases for the caliber they are set up for. I had considered burning the calibers above hooks, but this worked out great.

03 cleaning rod closet.jpg

Notice that the drawer pulls are all spent cases, and that the walnut grain pattern runs up the front of the drawers. That took several days of cutting and fitting. Miss Tina told me I was too anal. ;) I had to agree, but it was what I wanted. If I was going to make my box, I was going to make it nice. (The quality oak ones were running $350.) She said the detail on the "closet" door looked like an owl. :? I told her I planned it that way. :) The top of the box opens to store hammers, gunsmith blocks, and other larger items that wouldn't fit in the drawers.

The first gun cleaned was my Recliner Gun... my Glock 35 with Light. Things go bump in the night, you need to see them. This one works great. Skunks, possums, coyotes... It was my falling plate match gun for the Glock matches. Now, it shares my recliner.

4 house gun.jpg

The other gun that got cleaned during this session was my EDC Smith 340; "The Beast." This Scandium 357 rides in a pocket, and weighs nothing. She packs a punch though. Five shots of 357 magnum. I can carry 12 rounds of 357 in two Bianchi speed strips in a vest or shirt pocket and no one will notice. I have been carrying them in an old cell phone belt case... they don't make phones that small anymore but the case was the perfect size for the two strips. I have a set of Aircrew Wings on the front flap. :P No one gives it a second look.

5 summer edc.jpg

I took this picture using my Cell Phone, I was off to the side, and got the light and angle perfect. I really LIKE the result. One thing about a revolver, you never need to ask, "Did you feel lucky?" No doubt if the thing is still loaded... :shock:

6 howdy.jpg

The gun is in the cleaning vise and no finger on the trigger...
But you get an idea what someone would see if they were LOOKING down the barrel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Cleaning Two of my Favs

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:32 pm

a very nice outfit .... I don't ever recall seeing one better organized .... I really like the use of shell cases .... 8-)
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:43 pm

Now that is a class act. No wonder you wife thought is was a jewelry box. There a lot of super wood-working in the detail there.

I also like your G-35. I have the same pistol and have owned and shot it since 2006. I used it in competition for 7-8 years and then retired it to plinking duty. It went back to Glock just before I left Georgia in 2011. They gave it the once over and replaced a few internal parts and put new night sights on it since they we factory sights. Total cost was $0. Gotta love those Glocks. :D
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:31 pm

She has a nice Curly Cherry jewelry box I made for her years ago.. She loves it. Just couldn't believe all that work went into a "tool box." The tools for gunsmithing aren't cheap. She doesn't open THAT box. :o When we were first married she would open paint cans with whatever was on the workbench... Screwdriver, chisel, end of a square. :twisted: She learned...
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:13 am

That case is beyond beautiful and the detail is incredible. Nice how your made the grain work through all the drawers and face area (or whatever you call it :lol: ). That I’m sure was an incredible amount of time and effort given to accomplish. Beautiful!!!

The muzzle view of your Smith is down right intimidating. Nice job on capturing the light to make every bullet show. That too is a nice piece of work.
0 x