Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Show me your classic Smiths

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Show me your classic Smiths

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:55 pm

Decided to start a thread with classic Smiths since Dave posted a S&W 1. So lets see them here is 2 of mine.
Top one is a model 14 K-38 masterpiece with the 3 T's as they call it. The bottom one is a 657 power port in 41 mag. There were not many of those made. Its a great shooter.
IMG_1584.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BigAl52 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Show me your classic Smiths

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:14 am

I have had many S&W hand guns over the years from Model 17's up to the Model 29's with several different barrel lengths in blued, stainless and a few nickel models. Had several Model 57 41 Magnums that were great revolvers and were very accurate. I killed a few deer with the big 8 3/8" barrel 29's and dropped deer like a good rifle does. They all went down the road during some harder times when my wife and I were just getting started and needed money more than the revolvers. I am not really a handgun person anyway but love the looks and feel of the S&W models. This is the only picture I have with my S&W models I have now mixed in with my other handguns.. Model 586 rare satin blued model from 1989. Never fired by me since Dad gave it to me 20 years ago. :( Model 637 Airweight 38 Special 5 shot unfired since I bought it probably at least 6 years ago. :shock: I did say I am not a handgun guy but I would buy a Model 14 if I had a chance. :) Image
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:48 am

back in the 60's I purchased 3 S&W revolvers (a 38 Chief Special, a 44 Mag and a 41 Mag ) .... didn't keep any of them long .... the only one I still have belonged to my Grandfather .... he carried it as a backup when hunting black bear and kept it under the counter of the mountain grocery store he owned .... no clue as to actual date of build but suspect it was in or predates the 50's .... I remember seeing it with pearl grips .... replaced the pearls with stock wooden grips, have no clue where the pearls are now .... the barrel is pitted from use of corrosive primers .... way back when I was even dumber (yep, that's a fact) I overloaded it and blew a hole in its cylinder .... replaced it, nothing close to that since .. ;) .. blade front site, small notch cut into the frame for the rear site .... I've always found it best to just point and shoot it .... don't fire it often but its still fully capable .... yes, I fitted it with a trigger shoe that can be seen in the picturesback in the mid 60's, that did wonders for the trigger pull .... it will be passed on after I'm gone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:09 am

My pair of S&W classics.... 629-2E 44 Mag and the Model 66 from 1976-77. I have another on the way being the Model 25-7 .45 Colt.
First picture the M 66 after install of S&W wood grips.
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:14 am

We've owned a lot of great vintage S&W revolvers, but sold most of them off when prices were good. The only vintage Smith we've kept is our early 70s 28-2, because hubby regards it as "his" gun. Given it is a large frame and given I put on the big custom grips, it does fit his huge paws like a glove. He only shoots 38s with it, so I suspect to will last another 60 plus years.

As for me, no big secret that I much prefer single actions. I won't part with those.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:59 am

May not qualify as classics but thought I'd post anyway.

2003 S&W 500 Mag
Early 80's S&W model 686 357 Mag ( pre-lock )
Sorry, threw in my newest as well.
Ruger Single Ten.

20201108_102514.jpg
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:25 pm

DC9FE168-437B-4BD9-94FE-F6FD0961814A.jpeg

This isn’t a classic Smith really but it has a great back story so I will share it.

S&W M/19-5 4” blue........

Back in the 80’s I was working for a sporting goods wholesaler and we were a Smith & Wesson distributor. My dad wanted to buy a handgun for a nightstand gun so I sold him this M/19. Fast forward to 2010 which is the year he passed away. He had a few firearms including this Smith when he died and my brother brought them to his home as our Mom didn’t want them in the house. A couple of years later I asked my brother about the Smith and he told me he had it and if I wanted it to come and get it.

So, I get over to his place and he hands me this revolver that appears to be in perfect condition with barely a turn ring except it has the most ugly beat up grips imaginable on it. I’m looking at this albatross in my hands and I’m wondering, WTH? So I get this gun home and pull the grips off and inside the hard plastic grips my is brothers name engraved into them with an electric pencil. Well, then the lightbulb goes off for me.......my brother is a now retired detective with the local Sheriff’s office and these grips must have been on one of his early duty revolvers prior to changing over to Glocks.

So I take a closer look and I’m convinced that my dad never shot this gun. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) we were unable to find the original box and contents as well as the original grips so I decided to throw any collector value out the window and proceeded to remove it from it’s unfired status. :D It’s a great shooter as one would expect with a Smith and while I have run a few cylinders of 357 thru it being a K frame mostly I shoot 38’s in it. I picked up the target grips you see on it at a gunshow but kept the grips my brother gave our dad. As my brother was so generous with giving it to me one of these days I’m going to return the favor and give it to his son. I kept the beat up old service grips to include for my nephew.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:43 pm

Thats a classic for sure Mike. Model 19 is a great Smith.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:02 pm

80's could be considered a classic now...enjoy those old Smiths!
0 x

needsmostuff
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by needsmostuff » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:24 pm

Got me some nice Smiths , got me some NIB Smiths but as time moves on I'm liking useable trailworn guns more and more.
Lets see , thinning blue and some scratches , CHECK, some pits ,CHECK , no pricey factory grips ,CHECK .
Great , toss it in some old leather and go for a walk about.
Raggedy ole easy to feed Mod. 28 fits that bill.

4 x