Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another Italian 1873!

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Another Italian 1873!

Post by Rifletom » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:14 pm

Have a good lead[and in stock!] a Cimarron Uberti El Malo 2, 5.5" barrel, CCH frame , no brass and in .45 Colt. Leaning hard on picking this up.
What do you S/A folks think of this? Pretty much looks like my Pietta, except a bit longer barrel and no brass frame.
Almost forgot: It has walnut Army grips. That got me looking.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Another Italian 1873!

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:40 pm

Is it a Uberti or a Pietta? Not that it really matters. I have both and they've been great. Would have no hesitation buying either version of a Colt if it was what I wanted.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:47 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:40 pm
Is it a Uberti or a Pietta? Not that it really matters. I have both and they've been great. Would have no hesitation buying either version of a Colt if it was what I wanted.
NCG, it is indeed a Uberti. And, yeah, I believe it's what I want. Something a little different, but, I do like those .45 Colt's.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:47 pm

Taylors makes one called the Drifter. Same gun basically with Oct barrel. I like the Oct barrel but I never did grab one. Go for it Tom we wont stop ya.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:48 pm

I have a Cimarron (Uberti) "Bad Boy" (sheesh) .44 magnum SA with a 6" barrel and it came with a safety transfer bar built into the hammer. This allows loading and carrying 6 rounds safely. It has detractors out on the other forums, hardcore SAA fans that don't like its 3 click hammer cocking and think it may be unreliable.
Mine has been perfectly reliable and I never missed the 4th click. Just be aware that the inner bar may be built into that El Malo also. It's a feature in most all Ubertis now.
It moves up behind the firing pin only when the trigger is held back. The rest of the time the firing pin floats. I'll trade the loss of a click for not shooting my foot off any day. ;)
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:20 am

Conax wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:48 pm
I have a Cimarron (Uberti) "Bad Boy" (sheesh) .44 magnum SA with a 6" barrel and it came with a safety transfer bar built into the hammer. This allows loading and carrying 6 rounds safely. It has detractors out on the other forums, hardcore SAA fans that don't like its 3 click hammer cocking and think it may be unreliable.
Mine has been perfectly reliable and I never missed the 4th click. Just be aware that the inner bar may be built into that El Malo also. It's a feature in most all Ubertis now.
It moves up behind the firing pin only when the trigger is held back. The rest of the time the firing pin floats. I'll trade the loss of a click for not shooting my foot off any day. ;)
Yup. I have a Taylors Uberti Cattleman Ranch Hand 22LR that has the Retractable Firing Pin that is now used in all new Uberti SAAs. When I first got it, I thought it was defective because it lacked that second hammer position, so I called Taylors' gunsmith, who told me about their new design.

Uberti demonstrates how this works in this Youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecOGRmMtFow
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:25 am

I have those current Uberti safety models, too, and have had zero issues. Transfer bar safety setups have been around in single actions since the early 70s when Ruger introduced them with their New Models and who knows how many millions of those Ruger's are out there with no issues on the transfer bar safety. What I do like on the Uberti version is that you still load the gun the same as with the original Colt actions, unlike the Ruger version. It's a non-issue for me.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:48 am

I like to buy American but with Uberti I would not hesitate buying one because it’s not made here. I have an Uberti and a Pietta and think they are very heigh quality.

If it’s what you want Tom then buy (spelled wrong intentionally) all means buy it.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:18 pm

The El Malo didn't pan out. It has an octagon barrel and that, to me, would make it barrel heavy. Soooo, just ordered from Tombstone Tactical, a Taylor "Old Randall" in .45 Colt. It already has the tuned trigger and whatnot. This might be it for a while. 5.5" barrel, a sort of matte bluing that looks good to me and wood grips.
Al, I sent you a picture of it.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:19 pm

Ok Tom Got it. Here is Toms new pistola. New Toys for Tom to load for. Looks good Tom hope you like it.
IMG_6272.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55