Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Single Action shooting low

Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Single Action shooting low

Post by Travlin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:41 pm

I have a Blackhawk .45 with the extra cylinder for the A.C.P. 452 bullets easily pass through the cylinder mouths of both cylinders and a .454 can be pushed through with just a little effort. I bought the revolver new so I guess Ruger did build at least one right.
0 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:26 am

On my Ruger NM Blackhawk 45 Colt, I had to hone my Cly. throats out a tad too. The throats slugged at .450" so I honed them just enough that my .452" cast bullets would go through with just a light push. Groove diam. in my bore is .449".
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:27 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:17 pm
Very common for a fixed sight single action to shoot low. In fact, I suspect that Ruger makes the Vaqueros with a taller than needed front sight because they expect cowboy action shooters to file down the sight as needed. Have done it on several of those. I don't see shooting low as much of a problem on these guns or even a defect for that matter because it's such an easy fix. Doesn't bother me in the least to file down the front sight as needed for my favorite load and my favorite distance and then just use whatever it takes to hold at other distances. I'd much rather file down the front sight than cover up the target to get the needed holdover.

A single action that shoots high is a real headache and, for me, a reason to trade off a gun if need be. Have done it with a couple. Not an easy fix.

Here's my Cimarron/Pietta 357 Frontier that I got lightly used at a bargain price. Shooting 357s is downright nasty with this one, so I filed down the front sight to use the gun with 38s, since, of course, 38s shoot much lower. No regrets at all, because this one is crazy accurate and fun to shoot with the 38s, plus I have a Uberti Colt in 357 for shooting 357s (and don't shoot it much because it stings with 357s.)

NCG, question on your Cimarron and Uberti in .357. Were the .357's loaded hot? Seems the Cimarron/Pietta was uncomfortable, where the Uberti more tolerable. Asking, as I may consider one in .357 with 5.5" barrel. Thank you.
0 x