Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Let's see some single action revolvers

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Let's see some single action revolvers

Post by tx gunrunner » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:19 am

You must grip DA revolver and semi-auto pistol totally different then a SA revolver gun . SA guns you must grip it different if you shoot them with 1 hand or 2 hand . My 686 S&W is my favorite DA revolver and it fit me perfect with that ugly retread grip .. I sold it because I can shoot the BH much faster and more accurate then the 686 .

4 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:47 am

Not to get too far off track with talk of grip styles, but ever since I switched to the pinky under the grip, my shooting has improved, both for the first shot and follow up shots. My theory is that the finger under the grip serves to make for a consistent hold, shot after shot and consistency of hold is one of the keys to accurate shooting with any handgun.

This pinky under technique has also caused me to re-evalute what grips work for me to best manage heavy recoil. Have always preferred the Bisley grip for hard kickers, but no more. I know find that I can shoot my 44 mags and heavy 45 Colt with finger under on a plow handle and do just as well for managing recoil. I also find that the plow handle is still the best natural pointer, still the fastest to draw from the holster and still the easiest and fastest for me to use for quick follow up shots.

As for the thumb behind the recoil shield, yes and no. My thumb struggles to reach the recoil shield with my pinky under on some single actions and with the really hard kicking stuff, it's hard on the thumb. Just not a good fit for me.

Bottom line, though, is that I've traded off most of the Biselys for the same versions in the plow handle or, more recently, the birdshead grip, which is essentially a rounded butt plow handle. For me, anyway, the finest grip ever put on a handgun is still the standard plow handle on a Colt or Colt clone, such as my USFA Rodeo and nothing can match it for elegance and beauty of form. As always, though, each to their own.

9 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:23 pm

tx gunrunner wrote:
RanchRoper wrote:The Army grip fills the hand more than the smaller Navy grip on a Model P 1873 style revolver. Not quite as curved as the Bisley though.

TGR's tip works, I tried it.
Try this also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtPnRRxuOuc&t=9s
I will definitely try that with the thumb steadying the gun. Thanks.
3 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:30 pm

RanchRoper wrote: I will definitely try that with the thumb steadying the gun. Thanks.
Me, too. Thanks.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:54 pm

A couple of Heritage .22's
Bottom one is case hardened

6 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Beautiful guns - good thread. Thank you.

Cate
3 x

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Thought I'd share one of my favorite DW 357s, my fixed barrel 6" Palmer Mass. made. Was NOS/unfired when I got it on GB last year.
Super sweet shooter ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:08 am

Grip preference could also depend on the size of your hands...........but I don't want to start anything here :D
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Henry88 wrote:Grip preference could also depend on the size of your hands...........but I don't want to start anything here :D

Absolutely, right. We're talking a lot of subjective factors, here.
1 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Henry88 wrote:Grip preference could also depend on the size of your hands...........but I don't want to start anything here :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: You should not have any BS like that here . I love to hear different views that are different from mine . That is how you learn if you are right or wrong and learn different things . If you have some to say , say it as long as there is no name calling or belittling anyone tell us your view . I post stuff there are people who think I'm full of crap . I don't care if agree or disagree me . I try to post stuff that works for me and hopes it helps someone else . Don't let anyone Bully you here or any other forum .
6 x