Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New revolver

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: New revolver

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Newer material found a minute ago indicates the 66 is also available in .38 special +P.
I have never heard of this before - the mod 67 is the .38 special version - hence the different model #.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:43 pm

mags wrote:Newer material found a minute ago indicates the 66 is also available in .38 special +P.
mistered wrote:I have never heard of this before - the mod 67 is the .38 special version - hence the different model #.
Currently there seems to be more to the 66 and 67 differences.

Current specs from S&W website for the 60, 66 and 67.
The 68 information came from the revolverguy article link provided earlier.

60 - 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P; matte stainless barrel, cylinder and frame, 2.25" barrel, 6.6" overall.
66 - 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P; matte stainless barrel, cylinder and frame, 4.25" barrel, 9.6" overall.
67 - 38 S&W SPECIAL +P; satin stainless barrel, cylinder and frame, 4" barrel, 9.4" overall.

68 - 38 Special-only cylinder (shorter); stainless barrel, cylinder and frame, 6" barrel. Built using the 66 frame.
"The longer barrel extension and shorter cylinder are the major items that make a Model 68 visually distinctive."
Built mostly for California Highway Patrol. Some went to LAPD. Production ended 1988 with 6055 having been built.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:56 pm

66 - 357 Magnum, 38 S&W SPECIAL +P; matte stainless barrel, cylinder and frame, 4.25" barrel, 9.6" overall.
What the description means is the gun is chambered for .357 Mag and can also shoot .38 Special - not that there is a Mod 66 ONLY in .38 Special.

In the case of the Mod 60 it should be mentioned up to the mod 60-4 they were ONLY chambered in .38 Special and the 60-9 became chambered in .357 Mag.
Currently one of the guns I am looking for is a Mod 60-4 3" full lug with adjustable sights - a highly sought after Smith - and I passed on one a while back. They are not particularly rare but don't sit around long either for sale.
AND if I happen to stumble onto a pre lock Mod 60-9 in .357 I might go that route. The 60-9 is a little beefier due to it's .357 chambering but the early ones were very well made and came with very nice wood grips. I remember admiring one in an LGS in about 1996 (about the time it was introduced) and went in to buy it and it was GONE!
Last edited by Mistered on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:17 pm

Mistered wrote: I am looking for is a Mod 60-4 3" full lug with adjustable sights - a highly sought after Smith - and I passed on one a while back. They are not particularly rare but don't sit around long either for sale.
oooow, ouch. Don't pass it up again if you can help it.

I kinda like the looks of the 68, has a more western looking profile with the long barrel.
68Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:26 pm

I doubt you would ever find a mod 68 but keep your eye out for a Mod 67 in 6" or try to find a M-66 in 6" - not many were made as the 66 was marketed to the LEO market in 4" BUT when 6 inchers show up the prices are not that bad.- The most desirable Mod 66 now is the 2.5 " or 3" but there are not too many 3" out there.
I am currently looking for a Mod 27 in 6" - this is the 'N' frame .357 in bright blue with a completely checkered top strap. Currently looking at a few but I don't want one too beat up - prefer one that has been cared for but has been shot.
Another GREAT Smith is the Model K-38 Target Masterpiece Revolver Model 14. These have 'two' model numbers - but technically is a M-14 but he K-38 designates it as the Target Masterpiece. These were built on a semi-custom line and were mostly hand fitted and designated as 'bullseye' competition guns.
If you ever happen to handle a nice one they are works of art. Very nice fit, finish and bluing. The trigger pull is excellent from the factory and typically around 4 lbs with no creep. They also have the classic 'Three 'Ts' of a Smith - Target trigger (wide serrated) , Target hammer and Target grips - which are the typical 'Smith 'Football' grips but usually very nice wood and finished well.
Typically they are WAY more accurate than the shooter and as I have mentioned before about Smith 'sleepers' it is one also. A lot of people see them as nothing more than a 6" .38 Special Smith - but to the knowledgeable Smith aficionado they are well known.
This is a 'representative' pic of a K-38 - to the 'untrained' eye they are nothing special other than a M-14 .38 but look closely and you can see the wide target trigger and hammer. This is a later version with 'cutout' grips for speedloaders to clear.
cid_7EE643EAE09D43F3A795DC3B3F806B1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:25 am

You guys are killing me with these beautiful Smiths. Here's my recently acquired Model 66-2, again, with a 6" barrel. Note that it is also a 3 T gun, which was a factory option at the time. Not quite as collectible as the earlier dash 66s, but still vintage enough to have that beautiful vintage S&W quality. Best trigger of any revolver we own, right now, and we do have several Performance Center Smiths. Paid the going market price for a vintage Smith in this condition, but glad I did. Got there the very day the gun was put up for sale at our local shop. From experience, I know all too well how quickly they disappear when they come up for sale. You can't delay when you find these.

2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:58 am

Mistered wrote:This is a 'representative' pic of a K-38 -
Love your K-38. Looks like my K-22. Real western looking.
NCG wrote:You guys are killing me with these beautiful Smiths. Here's my recently acquired Model 66-2, again
Happy to keep you and others entertained. That 66-2 with it's 6 inch barrel is quite attractive.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Love your K-38. Looks like my K-22. Real western looking.
Unfortunately not mine - hence the ‘representative’ picture!
With any luck however I will be posting a pic of a hopefully , new to me mod 27!
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:51 am

Just got off the phone with S&W inquiring what the -5 in my model 65-5 represented. After numerous repeats, I was able to ascertain the following enhancements:

1. Radius Stud Package and Floating Hand
2. Changed hammer nose and bushing
3. New Yoke Retention System

I could have purchased a history report for $75. But, I was informed a Smith & Wesson book on the history of revolvers would be cheaper. However, I did find a link that lists the dates the changes came out.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/archiv ... 15489.html

P.S.

Received form S&W:
65_revision list (2).jpg
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).