Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman

Post by garryj » Tue May 15, 2018 6:26 pm

I picked up one of my grail guns today--a S&W model 28-2 Highway Patrolman N frame .357 with a 6" barrel with the original grips. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm sure it will not disappoint.

Garry

Pictured with original grips and Pachmayer rubber grips.
28-2L.JPG
28-2R.JPG
28-2LP.JPG
28-2RP.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Trust me, it will not disappoint. My husband and I picked up a 28-2 at an estate auction some years, back. It's now his favorite centerfire handgun to shoot, so much so that we now refer to it as "his" 357. (Likewise, we refer to our 617 Smith as "his" 22 LR revolver.)

Soon after we got "his" 28-2, I found an old set of Herrett target grips because that old magna grip was way too small for his huge paws. Still had to do some trimming on the Herretts to make some room for his hands, though.

Congrats on a true classic Smith&Wesson. These vintage Smiths are really getting hard to find, now. You did well to grab it. Enjoy.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Garry...sorry to ask the question. Are your photos distorted/elongated as they appear to me on my computer? Whenever I post photos, they look fine in the Forum "preview" screen option. But after posting, all are distorted or elongated also. That includes any round targets in my Range Reports. They become more egg-shaped.

If you tell me yours are NOT elongated, then I know something is amiss with my computer. I really like revolvers, but these photos just don't display the true gun dimensions as I view them.

Here's part two of this, which makes it even more unusual. NCG's photo of her revolver looks fine on my screen. Odd. I really can't figure out what is happening, and I know you may not know either. Just had to ask someone this time.

Thanks for your time. Any thoughts would be helpful however.
PT7

garryj wrote:I picked up one of my grail guns today--a S&W model 28-2 Highway Patrolman N frame .357 with a 6" barrel with the original grips. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm sure it will not disappoint.

Garry

Pictured with original grips and Pachmayer rubber grips.

28-2L.JPG28-2R.JPG28-2LP.JPG28-2RP.JPG
1 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 pm

I picked up one of my grail guns today--a S&W model 28-2 Highway Patrolman N frame .357 with a 6" barrel with the original grips.
Man did you ever make a mistake!! BUT to show my goodwill I'll trade you a very nice early Mod 66-0 WITH the rare SS rear sight for it!!

Yea RIGHT!

GREAT GUN!! looking forward to a range report!
0 x

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Sun May 20, 2018 12:12 pm

PT7 wrote:Garry...sorry to ask the question. Are your photos distorted/elongated as they appear to me on my computer? Whenever I post photos, they look fine in the Forum "preview" screen option. But after posting, all are distorted or elongated also. That includes any round targets in my Range Reports. They become more egg-shaped.

If you tell me yours are NOT elongated, then I know something is amiss with my computer. I really like revolvers, but these photos just don't display the true gun dimensions as I view them.

Here's part two of this, which makes it even more unusual. NCG's photo of her revolver looks fine on my screen. Odd. I really can't figure out what is happening, and I know you may not know either. Just had to ask someone this time.

Thanks for your time. Any thoughts would be helpful however.
PT7
I'm sorry it took me so long to answer, but my son lost my debit card last week and it's been a dramatic week. However, I have noticed that on all of my posts my pictures look distorted. Other posts look normal. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Mods, any suggestions?

Garry
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Well I can no longer fight it - I'll be looking for a mod 27/28 soon!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun May 20, 2018 3:19 pm

You'll likely have an easier time find a good 28 than a 27. 27s were very expensive guns in their day. A lot folks couldn't afford them, hence the more affordable plain jane 28s. The 28s just didn't get the polishing and cosmetic treatment that the 27s got, but they shoot the same. Those vintage 27s are getting very pricey, but you can still snag a 28 pretty reasonable.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 20, 2018 3:51 pm

You'll likely have an easier time find a good 28 than a 27. 27s were very expensive guns in their day.
Yep - this is true - reality being what it is I'll most likely find a 28!
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sun May 20, 2018 4:49 pm

Congrats on a great revolver. The 28-2 will not disappoint. You will however need a 27-2 to go with it.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun May 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Whoa! That is one fine vintage Smith.
0 x