Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Opinions Please

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Opinions Please

Post by markiver54 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:50 pm

we are up at our cabin now for a short time, so I decided to go to the LGS up here today. This is where I bought my Henrys at a good price.
Anyway...they had in stock a brand new SS Ruger Single 10 for $549.00. Seems like a good deal to me. They offered to hold it for me at no charge for a week to think about it. What do you guys/gals think. :?: :?:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Opinions Please

Post by tractortad » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 pm

Bud's has a Single 10 listed for $557.00 (cash price) which means that $549 is a fair/good deal, imo. We paid $525 for one about two years ago thru a local Davidson's dealer. Our Single ten has turned out to be a well made, good quality, fun-to-shoot gun - perfect for plinking and teaching newbies on how to handle a revolver. The only hiccup we had was that the first one that we ordered had a "clocked" (canted) front sight - Davidson's took it back and sent another one, which turned out to be excellent quality. I recommend that you check the sights on the one you are thinking about, and if it checks out ok, I'd take the leap - definitely a gun worth adding to anyone's 22LR collection...
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:16 pm

tractortad wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 pm
Bud's has a Single 10 listed for $557.00 (cash price) which means that $549 is a fair/good deal, imo. We paid $525 for one about two years ago thru a local Davidson's dealer. Our Single ten has turned out to be a well made, good quality, fun-to-shoot gun - perfect for plinking and teaching newbies on how to handle a revolver. The only hiccup we had was that the first one that we ordered had a "clocked" (canted) front sight - Davidson's took it back and sent another one, which turned out to be excellent quality. I recommend that you check the sights on the one you are thinking about, and if it checks out ok, I'd take the leap - definitely a gun worth adding to anyone's 22LR collection...
Thank you Tad! appreciate the heads up on the front site.
I,m thinking this is going to happen, just gonna see if any more chime in to push me over the edge! :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Mark, Single Tens are very accurate, but they are also known for being fussy in one respect. It's getting the cylinder correctly aligned with the barrel before closing the loading gate. Even mentions this in the instruction manual. Some STs I've tested in stores are very fussy about this, some are not. It varies. I had one of the fussy ones. On the fussy ones, if the cylinder isn't perfectly aligned with the chamber directly behind the barrel, the hammer won't cock after you close the loading gate. You then have to open the loading gate, again, move the cylinder slightly and try again. Now, as I said, this varies form one gun to the next, so it's worth a check on one you plan to buy. Just cycle the gun several times, opening the loading gate, centering the cylinder, closing the loading gate and then cocking the hammer. Like I said, not a deal breaker for some folks, but some folks will find it annoying.

Not sure why Ruger has this issue with their 10 shooters. Never had it happen on a Single Six and never have seen it on other 10 shooters or even my 12 shooter Uberti Cattleman. Just a quirk on this model. Go figure. Despite having on of the fussy ones, my ST was superbly accurate.

By the way, my ST was one of the early ones and it had the V notch rear sight blade with I absolutely hated. I wasted no time in replacing with the standard square notch rear sight blade. Not sure what the latest ones have for a rear sight and, hey, some folks love the v notch, but something else to check.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Was hoping for your feedback NCG, so thank you!
I will definitely look at the cylinder alignment issue. Handled it briefly today, but was not paying close enough attention ( wife was waiting in car).
the new ones come with Williams fiber optic sites. both front and rear adjustable. they really light up well!
sure did seem very well made.
might go back as early as this weekend and will take into account what you and Tad have mentioned so far.
this is to be my 3 months smoke free gift...Yaaah! :D
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:02 pm

And congrats on being smoke free. Good for you.

One thing (another) if you do buy this one. The Williams sight adjusts the windage just the opposite of the standard Single Six adjustable sight and this was not stated in the instruction manual at the time. Not sure if this has been corrected in the manual, but something to know if you do go with this ST. Again, not a big deal, but may save you some time and frustration. The ST is really fun gun, though. Hope you find one that suits you.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:59 pm

chime chime chime chine in-in, you over the edge yet? Just jump on over and get it.
markiver54 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:16 pm
...I'm thinking this is going to happen, just gonna see if any more chime in to push me over the edge! :D
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:16 pm

Mags wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:59 pm
chime chime chime chine in-in, you over the edge yet? Just jump on over and get it.
markiver54 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:16 pm
...I'm thinking this is going to happen, just gonna see if any more chime in to push me over the edge! :D

:lol: :lol: Knew you would chime in Mags! YES, I,m very close to the edge, may fall off tomorrow. :)
I swear, Dave should change your rank from Drover to Enabler Extreme :lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:20 pm

I say hold out for a good used Single Six. Less money and already broken in - but this is how I think and roll.

Heck I am going to be looking at a 1981 BLR in .243 Winchester hopefully this weekend if the owner gets back with me - and right here in my area!
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:30 pm

Mistered wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:20 pm
I say hold out for a good used Single Six. Less money and already broken in - but this is how I think and roll.

Heck I am going to be looking at a 1981 BLR in .243 Winchester hopefully this weekend if the owner gets back with me - and right here in my area!
I hear Ya Ed, but I'm kind of a stainless guy and also love the adjustable fiber optics. Thanks for chiming in!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry