Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New to me Winnie

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

New to me Winnie

Post by EasyEd » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:04 pm

Hey All,

I have lever actions by Henry and Browning - I'm missing two other brands - Marlin and Winchester. I do have a Marlin bolt action 22. That said I also have never owned a 30-30. Well I am now waiting on the delivery of a Winnie - a classic - Model 94ae in 30-30. AE is angle eject - I can't abide top eject. Looking forward to it while also looking for a Marlin 1894 in 45 colt.

Couple pics...

Looking forward to it as I have always liked how win 94s handle.

Now to find that Marlin...

-Ed-
4 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: New to me Winnie

Post by Team Roper » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:40 am

That is very nice.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:43 am

Nice looking Winnie Ed, I have an angle ejection Winnie myself.

I have lever guns from Henry, Marlin, Rossi, and Winchester.
No Browning, Ruger or Savages though.

Hope you enjoy.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:52 am

I thought you bought a Winnebago. :lol: seriously that is a nice looking rifle. Can the AE be scoped?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:21 am

Nice looking 94, Ed. Looks to have had very little use. Good vintage, too.That's an AE without the much hated cross bolt safety which was introduced in 1992. Since the AE feature came out in the early 80s, that one would be an early 80s to very early 90s gun.

As for the 45 Colt Marlin, I suspect that one will one tougher and more expensive to find. Great lever gun if you can find one, though.
1 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:54 pm

Hey All,

Thank you for the compliments...

Yes an AE ,94 can be scoped. Here is a pic showing that they can be scoped on top not just some side plate scheme.

This winnie angle eject has see thru mounts - I've used these on a Marlin 356 win an like them. Brass is ejected up an sideways not hitting the scope. The cut out in the receiver in in the first picture in my first post enables this.

To me the Winchester lever action 94s have been a slimmer trimmer better balanced lighter just handier lever action than other lever guns. Don't get me wrong I like all lever guns and bought other brands because at the time I sought more power than the 30-30 hence Browning BLRs. Also in my experience for a given calibre in lever guns Winnie's are more expensive so I usually went for the less costly. Anyway now is time to downsize in recoil and weight so a reasonably priced winnie 30-30 and a 45 colt marlin is a start. My biggest wish for henry is that they would take a long hard look at how heavy many of their offerings are - oh an more side gates too. Fine if you just target shoot or hunt from a stand or a blind. Not so fine if you are like me still hunting on the move carrying all the time. And on a side note I do know that Winchester made 45 colt angle eject lever guns but I think they are real rare. Be cool to find one though.

-Ed-
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:31 pm

Couldn't agree more on the Model 94 as being one of the best ever balanced and pointable 30-30 lever gun ever made. As much as I loved our Marlins 30-30s, they always seemed a bit clunky to me compared to the standard Model 94 30-30. In many way, I've always regarded he Marlin 336 as the better design, but nothing touches the Model 94 for handling.

As for the 30-30, still a grand cartridge after all these years. Up here, I often hear a lot of older shooters chuckling about folks who use the big mags for shooting deer at 50 yards in our woods and then wonder why there's so little meat left. And 50 yards is a long shot in our north woods, unless you can find one of the few farms to hunt or are shooting across a lake.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:26 pm

Good looking Winnie Ed.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:30 pm

Very nice looking 94 you have Ed. I have an '85(I think), same model, and easily put a Weaver 4x on it. No problems. As NCG mentions, they handle so easy. Enjoy that one, you found a keeper.
0 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:16 pm

Hey All,

Delivered day before yesterday. Really nice shape - will get some pics up this weekend and if not raining see if it shoots halfway straight. Color me excited...

-Ed-
0 x