Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Remington 540XR

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Remington 540XR

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:05 pm

Bought a 540XR Remington Target from a friend about two weeks ago. Heavy barrel single shot bolt action with an adjustable butt plate. Barrel is .810 diameter so it is not really a heavy weight rifle. Three way adjustable trigger. Had it to the range three times and it is turning out to be a great shooter. This rifle does not seem to be particular about what ammo I use in it. It even shoots very accurate with what most target shooters call junk ammo. Never had a rifle that would shoot so many different brands this well and a lot of them to the same point of impact at 50 yds. I scoped it with a fixed 12X Leupold with a very fine duplex that has worked out to be a great combination.
I shot with my shooting partner last week three days at the range. He brought a custom built Falcon action with a custom barrel and two Anschutz bull barrel rifles along with a Remington 40X and he said a large portion of my targets with the 540XR were better than his rifles. I worked with the trigger that was some what inconsistent on pull weight and got it at 8 oz. right now if it holds at that. Maybe still have to tweak it a little but still should be able to stay under the 12 oz. area. Maybe hit the range again tomorrow if the wind lays down. Sorry I don't have a camera right now. This is a rather strange looking rifle. Pull up a 540XR Remington on the internet but laugh to hard. :shock: These rifles can shoot regardless of their looks. :D
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Remington 540XR

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:28 pm

I've seen a few. Great bench/four position rifle, but with that standard barrel, probably more intended for four position shooting. I think they made a heavy barrel, too, for bench competition. Anyway, definitely not a sporter. Great addition to your very impressive Remington bolt collection. Congrats.
0 x