Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Willful heresy

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Willful heresy

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:14 pm

I have, for a long time, thought that a heavy ‘battle type’ rifle may be a good idea. Having studied the ‘AR 10’ as my idea of this type rifle, I am looking for suggestions.

Research has shown that there are many options. My ideal appears to be the Aero Precision M5 model. This shows as an accurate, strong build. And, pretty pricey.

I have read and watched much about selectively buying parts and assembling. The horror stories abound. I even own a 80% lower. But, am afraid to try to match it up with an upper. Too many questions.

Have any of you done this? Have ideas and suggestions?

Thanks for any input. Appreciate it.

Jim
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Willful heresy

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:00 pm

Hey Fish
Im sure someone will chime in with the put together part. But about 4 years ago when I was buying those types of guns I decided I needed an AR-10. I bought a Sig Pro Patrol. The gun club I was a member of at the time had a bunch of them in and they all sold right away. I had the chance to shoot one before I bought mine. I like mine just fine. I put a Jerry Miculek muzzle brake on it. The recoil is very minimal. I havent shot it much but I can say I have one. Its pretty impressive when you start bangin away with it at the range. I might also add its a chunk of a gun to hold for us old guys.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:28 pm

Thanks Al. I know it’s heavy and packs a punch. Duh. I am truly more interested in what it does at the other end. Yeah, I may shoot a deer or two.

The ability to reach out and touch seems be growing in importance. Not worried about 500+ yard shooting. Just want to defend me and mine.

I can’t afford the real deal. So, looking for an alternative.

Thanks
1 x

brettitt41
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by brettitt41 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:13 pm

Unless you have a couple of AR style rifle builds under your belt I would side more to buying a factory built rifle. The AR-10 platform is not a mil-spec platform like the AR-15 and not all parts will play together with other parts. Some lowers will not fit some uppers and so on. Figure out what features you just have to have and which ones you would like to have and start looking. Rock River Arms make nice ones so does S&W and you mentioned Aero Precision already. Expect a nice AR-10 build or bought to be around $1K. Your 80% lower is it an AR-10 lower or AR-15? They do not interchange, though some parts like triggers do. AR-10 is larger and takes different mags.
1 x
" Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

Henry H010 X

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:51 pm

Thanks Brett. Yes, I already know about the different fits. Hoping someone has beaten that problem. The quality outfits offer whole rifles and kit. It looks like a kit will save a couple hundred dollars.

My best idea, outside an aero kit, is l found a post by Live Free Armory. It sounds like they know their stuff. I will research further.

And, barrels alway are another discussion.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:27 pm

I know what you are saying and thats exactly the reason I bought mine. When it touches there is some reactions for sure.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:49 am

I had a Rock River AR 10 with a 20”bull barrel. It only takes FN pattern mags so Magpul and other mags are out. It was very accurate and I shot it out to 600 yards with a 16X scope and my match handloads. Fun gun but I traded it for a match bolt gun when I got more serious about 600 yard shooting.

Another fun option would be an M1A.

Have fun with whatever you end up with.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:51 am

Hey dog. Thanks. I am very impressed with the ‘SOCOM 16’
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Don't forget to check local pawn shops. Might be a first generation 308 DPMS in the mix, maybe even a gen 2. And, a 20-24 inch barrel is not a bad thing (the shorty's are LOUD). I've shot 1 MOA groups with 125g Nosler BT's with BL-C2 powder at 1K yards with a gen 1. Its even a great bullet for 2-4 legged game at less yardage. ;)
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

brettitt41
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by brettitt41 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:47 pm

This is what I like to shoot 600 yards with.
BM59.jpeg
M1 Garand 1944.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
" Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

Henry H010 X