Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New in the box discontinued Target 10/22

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

New in the box discontinued Target 10/22

Post by zara_puppy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:19 am

Saw some of these on CDNNSports.com. In all my shooting life I’ve never owned a .22 semi auto rifle. Guess I never had a need or desire for one. But these new in the box old stock were priced pretty well (they’ve recently bumped their prices). Anyway these rifles were reported to be hit and miss as far as ‘target accuracy’ and functionality. So in order to get more range time at less cost a .22 rifle with a kajillion custom options sounded kinda fun. Soooo - I picked one up. Best case scenario get one with a good barrel - couple simple mods and get a great target rifle on the cheap. Worst case - get one with an OK barrel and have a really heavy plinker. Well it looks like I got lucky. Right out of the box it shoots just over half inch ten shot groups at 50 yards. Top target is standard velocity CCI, the second is CCI Minimags. Both 40 grain solids. Since it appears to eat shooter I got a Kid trigger kit, buffer, guide rod and spring and a charging handle. This guy makes quality stuff (coolguyguns.com).

Got it all put together today. The trigger is magnificent and the bolt runs smooth as silk. Some properly placed aluminum tape and a bit of bicycle inner tube to tighten the action in the stock and keep the barrel from floating and some match .22’s and we’ll see what it can do. Just something to whittle away sometime I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New in the box discontinued Target 10/22

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:03 am

Very nice groups. Luck of the draw, you should buy a lottery ticket while you are hot.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:24 am

Really can’t go wrong with a 10/22 good gun for the price even at full retail. Cheap enough to upgrade with decent aftermarket parts.
Great shooting by the way.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:08 am

nice rifle that is clearly a solid performer
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:39 am

I've had a couple, now the youngest daughter has one and the son has the other.

Great shooting, ZP.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:29 am

Not surprised at all. Shot my first 10/22 in the late 60s. It was a friend's rifle and just loved it for being such a fast handling and, especially, fun shooter. We've messed with 10/22s of various types since then, some all stock and some with all the mods. Fun shooters, all, and some of them were amazingly accurate, even the basic carbine. We still have a mid 80s Sporter Deluxe that will shoot half inch at 50 yards with the right ammo and some work on my part. Only mod I've done is to add the BX trigger.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:51 pm

Ive owned an played with a few of those myself. There good shooters and you did a nice job.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by zara_puppy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:54 am

After installing the Kidd parts, scotch brighting the inside of the receiver, etc., the groups went to heck. No function failures. I did run a bore snake through it after getting it all done. Probably part of the problem. I’ll need to get the bore good and dirty again. That and the wrong torque on the action screw. I’m finding these things are a bit finicky.

I’ll get an inch pound wrench for all the screws. I already have aluminum tape to tighten the action in the stock. I’ll get a bicycle inner tube to put pieces under the barrel to get the barrel stable in the stock (and to be sure the HEAVY barrel isn’t floating). All that stuff.

As I was driving away from the range I was thinking “I’m going to get my Henry single shot .243 back out and shoot some easy sub MOA groups”. Dang that’s a good rifle.
0 x