Best long gun for feral pigs

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Best long gun for feral pigs

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:24 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:32 pm

I have read that Savage makes a very accurate bolt gun as well. Input?
Thanks.
Out of the box a Savage rifle will shot as well or better than some guns that cost more money. Savage barrels are button rifled barrels and most other factory rifles are cold hammer forged. It is usually said that button or cut rifled barrels are more accurate. Most if not all target barrels are cut rifled or button process. I don't believe any competition barrels use hammer forged barrels. Of course hammer forging equipment is quite a big investment. Hammer forged is much faster to produce and faster is not usually better. The Savage has a very precise way of setting head space. They chamber the barrel screw it in until the gauge shoulder is against the chamber shoulder and tighten the barrel nut. I loaded for three Savage heavy varmint 223's I owned at the same time. Prairie dog rifles for Montana summer time hunts. I never ever had to change the die adjustments as all three were spot on with head space. Didn't have to worry about ammo mix ups. If you tried that with other brands you would have to change die adjustments from gun to gun or have 2 or three die sets. Savage rifles accuracy are from good to exceptional for mass produced over the counter rifles.
1 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:34 pm

This is the 2nd time I have tried to post this reply. My grandson bought a Savage Axis with the cheapo scope, about 2 years ago. He is a Pig Killin' Machine. He loves that .308. He started with 150gr and he changed to the Nosler BT 165gr. He thinks that the BT works a bit better on the older sows and boars. He got his fair share of pigs in 2018-2019 season. We killed 150+ pigs that year. We were at 55 by Christmas this past year. I know the GS has been a pig terrorist this spring since China Virus. He is in his Sophomore HS year. I have finally got most of the Honey-Dos done and the garden has been planted. We have snow peas, spinach, and swiss chard coming on. Tomatoes are starting to blossom. I guess I better get some 45 Boolits loaded up. I sure like my Henry BBB and it's companion Ruger Blackhawk in same 45. My best spots to hunt are short range in the bends of the Angelina River. I have plenty of brass and 255 gr Hard Cast boolits waiting on me to sit in front of my Dillon press to make them whole.

Muddy Waters
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:33 pm

If you decide to go .223, I'd suggest using soft point ammo. FMJ can go clean through without causing enough fatal tissue damage, whereas the soft points will expand going through tissue.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:04 pm

Most of our top candidates for new farms are in OK, and rural by choice. The OK laws let the landowners shoot the piggies year round on their property. No season, no permits, no limit. Nights are fine, spotlighting is allowed, as are nightvision, and thermal. If you are a Jedi, you may use the force. Not spelled out in the law, but implied. I think it falls under the, "Huge Problem, Kill them all," clause.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:30 pm

as has already been mentioned, the distances you anticipate firing and the type of terrain .... for open shots reaching out 125 or more yards, 308 is a fine hunting caliber .... I've taken more bear, boar, deer and even elk with my 308 Browning BLR than with any other firearm .... if I was in the market today for a 308 I'd go with a Long Ranger .... with shots less than 125 yards and specially in thicker areas, I like a 44 Mag

you do have a great many options, I'm looking forward to following your selection process
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:22 pm

If I can find one, I may lean toward the M1A just because.
Because the Ooh Rah in my soul tells me to.
Because I shot match grade M14s in National Match competitions in the Corps out to 600 yards.
And because as a 16 year old, I carried one marching on the silent drill team in High School ROTC and lettered.
:ugeek:

Yup, after I refamiliarize myself with that old warhorse, we would make a good pair, But...
I'll keep an open mind. I had a Sig with a Mannlicher stock and double set triggers and butter knife bolt that was evil up to 300 yards. 22-250 l think it was. It was beautiful.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:49 pm

I can attest to Savage rifles being shooters. I have one now and have had a 223 bolt gun in the past. A Savage 112. They both out of the box out shot any rifle I currently own.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:40 pm

I think Al's new Hawken qualifies as the longest gun for pigs....
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:54 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:22 pm
If I can find one, I may lean toward the M1A just because.
Because the Ooh Rah in my soul tells me to.
Because I shot match grade M14s in National Match competitions in the Corps out to 600 yards.
And because as a 16 year old, I carried one marching on the silent drill team in High School ROTC and lettered.
:ugeek:

Yup, after I refamiliarize myself with that old warhorse, we would make a good pair, But...
I'll keep an open mind. I had a Sig with a Mannlicher stock and double set triggers and butter knife bolt that was evil up to 300 yards. 22-250 l think it was. It was beautiful.
Marine, that M1A is a solid idea! You'd be right at home with that one. There are other choices we've discussed, but, that M1A, oh yeah! I like it.
0 x