My Top 5 Rifles

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: My Top 5 Rifles

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 am

Really like those pictures around the wagon Randy those are great
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Nice video. Thanks. For me, my pick is a lever action rifle. Again, it could be due to watching lots of Westerns while growing up. Even when family members and friends wanted pump pellet and BB guns. I was to only one in the neighborhood with a lever action one. Of course, it was not as powerful. But, I did not care. It did get the job done.

I have shot and certified with M14s and M15s. But, I still have a draw to lever action rifles. Even at the sportsmen's club that I am a part of, I am the only one that has showed up with a lever action to shoot with, that I have seen. I have no desires to purchase a bolt action rifle. So, lever actions must have had a great influence on me. :)
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Wow,there are some great choices here! My favorites now are the lever rifles. I have the two Henry's; .45 Colt and .357, Win Mod94 in 30-30(1985), Marlin 39A(1957) and my Ruger #1 in 30-06. I know, a falling block, but, hey. Oh, and of course my Red Rider BB blaster. Can' forget that one. I've had some favorite bolt rifles, but, they found their way to my buds ranch in Idaho. Imagine that!
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:00 pm

Deleted.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:05 pm

There Tom like that
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:18 pm

GFK wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:55 pm
For me, my pick is a lever action rifle.
Rifletom wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:53 pm
My favorites now are the lever rifles.

I've had some favorite bolt rifles, but, they found their way to my buds ranch in Idaho.

that's easy for me to understand .... as noted in a post above, the first rifle I purchased for myself was a Browning BLR .... I treasured my Grandfather's Model 94 (still do) and really wanted a lever action rifle of my own .... with a BLR I could have the strong positive benefits from having a locking bolt in a lever action rifle .... Henry has wisely adopted the locking bolt concept in their Long Ranger .... one day I hope Henry will expand the calibers it offers in a Long Ranger to one that can easily motivate to add it to my collection
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:32 pm

The first rifle I ever shot was a Remington 513 22 target rifle with a peep sight and globe front sight shooting four position 50 foot rimfire bullseye. It was a club rifle I was given to use when I joined our local NRA junior rifle club in eighth grade. Took to shooting so well and was so passionate about it that I won all my medals and was invited to join the college team by my coach when the time came. Shot a "possible", a perfect 50 with it. This was the gun that imprinted bolt action rifles on me. Still my favorite to this day.

My first rifle that I owned was a Marlin 56 Levermatic 22 rifle given to me as a gift by an elder cousin. We were living on a farm at the time and I literally wore out the rifle to the point it could not be repaired.

My next rifle was a used Winchester 67 22 LR single shot rifle that I used for a lot of squirrel hunting. This was the one that started my addiction to single shot rifles that continues to this day. I don't have this one, anymore, but I do keep a Winchester 67 in the safe, now.

My next rifle was also a gift to me by my shooting mentor when I was in high school. He was the state rifle champion for a coupe years running. He took me under his wing and taught me reloading and introduced me to varmint hunting. It was Remington 700 ADL bolt rifle in his pet varmint cartridge the 6mm Remington. He was passionate about the 6mm being superior to the 243 and he never let me forget it.

The last one on my list was another bolt rifle of sorts, but actually a pump up air rifle in the Sheridan Bluestreak. This was another gun that I did my darnedest to wear out, but never did. I loved plinking with it and I also used it for squirrel and rabbit hunting. I actually managed to break off the front sight at one point. No matter, I just started using instinctive shooting and had a blast. Don't have that old Sheridan, anymore, but I do have six vintage Sheridans I've collected and do shoot them all.

Guess this explains why I still prefer bolt guns and single shots. In fact, a lot of my bolt guns have single shot adapters in them. Probably why I'm kind of an accuracy nut, too. Have to give credit to those teachers, too. They were probably as great an influence on me as the guns, maybe more so.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:41 am

Looks like an old REA wagon.
BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 am
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:15 am

Mags wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:41 am
Looks like an old REA wagon.
BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 am
Not sure what REA is.
But the wagon/cart came from a railroad depot.
They were used to transport baggage and goods from the train into the depot,
and back and forth.
Have had it for a number of years,
around Thanksgiving and Halloween we drag up to the front yard
Then put all the hay, pumpkins, gourds, and what have ya's.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:51 am

Great video Hrfunk!

For myself...it all started with the M1 Carbine and specifically the Crosman M1 Carbine air rifle I got for Christmas 1966.
Yes it took me a good many years to find the real one being the Fulton Armory M1 Carbine.
Next of course a Winchester type lever rifle from watching all those Westerns on TV...my Uberti 1873 .45 Colt lever rifle the first one I bought.
Other recent lever rifles have followed being all Henrys....44 Mag BBS Carbine and the .357 BB

I must also include my 1885 High Wall in .45-70 too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x