Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Savage 99 Project

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Savage 99 Project

Post by Bad Bob » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:23 pm

Saage & John Deere 002.JPG
A Savage 99 (.300 Savage) I picked up at a Gun Show in Kerrville, Texas. Had a bad drill and tap job for scope, it was missing sling hardware, and the bore needed some TLC.
Found a smith in Kerrville who got the D&T job corrected, bought a Redfield base on Ebay, bought rings and sling hardware from Midway and found a Weaver K4-1 at a San Antonio Gun Show.
Working on some reloads, currently 40.0 grs. of Varget and 150 gr. Hornaday SST's. This will be my go-to rifle for the upcoming deer season in Texas....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Old age and treachery beats young and stupid very time!

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Savage 99 Project

Post by Cofisher » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Many, many moons ago. I sighted in a 99-308 for a friend. Was very impressed with the rifle. I was new to big bore guns and took a walloping from the inexperienced mounting. My shoulder told me to avoid that.

I am now looking into a Henry 308 single shot. Huh.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:03 pm

003.JPG
The Varget "Target". Last 3 rounds, 10 ring at 9 o'clock, 10 ring at11 o'clock and 9 ring at 10:30 o'clock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:04 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:23 pm
Saage & John Deere 002.JPGA Savage 99 (.300 Savage) I picked up at a Gun Show in Kerrville, Texas. Had a bad drill and tap job for scope, it was missing sling hardware, and the bore needed some TLC.
Found a smith in Kerrville who got the D&T job corrected, bought a Redfield base on Ebay, bought rings and sling hardware from Midway and found a Weaver K4-1 at a San Antonio Gun Show.
Working on some reloads, currently 40.0 grs. of Varget and 150 gr. Hornaday SST's. This will be my go-to rifle for the upcoming deer season in Texas....

Don't know when you picked it up but gun shows have been prohibited in this area due to the Covid-19.....
Jake
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:48 am

My son has one that his grandfather on his mom’s side gave him when he was still a kid. Of course I had to store the rifle for him until he turned 18. I loved that rifle, it became my fog hunting rifle due to it’s open sights. Too bad my son turned 18 (he will be 35 this Saturday :shock: ), I very reluctantly gave him his rifle. Good for him tho, he still has it!! :D

His is a 300 Savage, love the rotary mag and brass counter.
0 x

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:05 am

FWIW, the gun shows mentioned were BEFORE the current Coronavirus B.S. Trying to get the gunsmith work and get the accessories online and in person took a while.
Only current activity is reloading and the local gun club/range is 10 minutes from my home. It is virtually deserted during the week, BEFORE the virus...
0 x