Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Changed scopes on my CZ American

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Changed scopes on my CZ American

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:50 pm

My friend bought 4 Tasco 6-24x40 Target/Varmint scopes on a deal from Amazon for $29.97 a week or so back. He kept two and gave me two. He is always telling me that I need to up grade my scopes to more powerful ones. So I the took the Leupold 3-9X40 off my CZ American 452 and put the Tasco on. It tracks well and is clear up to about 22 power and is OK at 24 but not as sharp as 22 and lower. I did a quick bore sight through the barrel and then shot at the center of the target to see where it was. It hit about an inch left of the center line and 2" low at 50 yds. Not terrible bad for looking through the bore and moving the adjusters until it looked good. Then I started shooting some groups with different ammo that was in my box that didn't have any of the higher end ammo in it. The target is marked with the ammo shot and was all shot at 50 yds.Some groups were quite a few shots in them.Top left of center had the most shots fired at 27 shots. Bottom right was 21 shots and center left was 20 shots and left center was 17. I shot all of what was left in the boxes before leaving for home. Didn't want to have partial boxes left in my ammo box. So here is the results if you can get by all the scribbling on the paper. The scope won't stay on this rifle. It is way to big and long and it is to powerful for me. I liked my 3-9 Leupold better.
Target from this trip to the range. The one shot at the top left bull was 1 lonely Aguila round I found in my box. Needed to get rid of it to. The one with the question mark was head stamped Rem. of some kind of target stuff maybe. Probably really old target standard velocity.
Here is the target with dimes on the groups. Some couldn't be covered but most were OK.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Changed scopes on my CZ American

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:47 pm

Dimes at 50 is fabulous. How does the Leupold compare with group sizes?
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Changed scopes on my CZ American

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:53 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:47 pm
Dimes at 50 is fabulous. How does the Leupold compare with group sizes?
Thanks for your reply Sir Henry.
In all honesty I actually shoot as well at 50 yds. with the 3-9 Leupold that I set the parallax myself at 55 yds. This bull I use is made using the hole in a CD disc and I have no problem at the 50-60 yd. shooting. The Leupold is a much better scope for this sporter barrel 452 American. My last range day with the Leupold on this rifle I believe I shot better groups but it actually was a little better conditions as far as wind and intermittent rain moving through. I may still have the target from that day to compare it with this one. This Tasco at $30 was a very good deal if needing a more powerful scope to see the targets. Maybe they were so cheap do to a possible close out of this model. This scope and the other one will go on a rifle more suited to a scope with this power and the rather large size.
1 x