Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin carbine

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Marlin carbine

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:20 pm

I haven't been working on the 39 Carbine much lately due to having some good shooting days and didn't want to miss out on shooting to do stock work. I am getting real close now to be finished with this project for my friends wood from the Marlin. The gun is still not blued but it should soon be done and I will get the wood to the owner so he can get his rifle back together. Hopefully with out scratching any of it. That job is on him. I figure two or three more coats of finish if it lays down smooth I can have it done. The fore arm is very nice and smooth. I didn't even have to buff it. He wants this one gloss just to have one with shiny finish. His wood. He can have it any way he pleases as it is not up to me. It still has electricians tape on the butt plate to not get a build up of finish on it. I will put new finish on the butt plate when wood is done. This is the butt plate I had to make new edges in a few places. The new white line I made from the kitchen drawer organizer is really nice and bright white. Here it is as of today.

3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Marlin carbine

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:33 pm

Can't wait to see the finished gun. That is one very sought after model of the 39. Your friend is one lucky Marlin owner, not only for having a great gun, but also having such a great friend.
2 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:15 pm

That looks great...love how bright and clean the white line looks.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:00 am

roddy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:15 pm
I like the bright white also. I will buy every white drawer organizer I see at flea markets from now on. It is about half the thickness of the factory white line which in my opinion is way to thick and they shrink to where they have an ugly fit. I saved his factory white line for him to keep but it would require taking wood off to make it fit. The hardest part on this project was making new edges on the butt plate that had some damage. I used acra-glas gel dyed black and it should be undetectable when I put the clear coat on the plate.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:58 am

bandit1250 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:00 am
roddy wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:15 pm
I like the bright white also. I will buy every white drawer organizer I see at flea markets from now on. It is about half the thickness of the factory white line which in my opinion is way to thick and they shrink to where they have an ugly fit. I saved his factory white line for him to keep but it would require taking wood off to make it fit. The hardest part on this project was making new edges on the butt plate that had some damage. I used acra-glas gel dyed black and it should be undetectable when I put the clear coat on the plate.

I remember looking at the pics of the buttplate and being impressed with the results...looked good even without the clear. The old 1100 stock I'm working on has white line spacers on the butt and grip cap...they've gone quite yellow over the years, but still fit well. I may try wet sanding the edges to see if that brings them back a bit. If that doesn't work, I may have to follow your lead...
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:56 am

Roddy,
I have had good luck getting yellowed spacers white again by wet sanding them. Seems like some times it is more that the finish has changed than the spacer turning yellow. Either way sanding should do it and save you from fitting new ones. In my case with this stock I would have had to remove quite a bit of wood to make a good fit again.
1 x