Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Don't pitch your broken sights

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Don't pitch your broken sights

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:44 pm

That is unless you are pitching them my way. ;) Those broken sights that get thrown away can be put to good use with a little work and patience. I take the rear sights that are the long sight that has the elevator for elevation adjustments and fits in a dovetail if they get broke off and make dovetail slot fillers with them for on my scoped lever action or the peep models after removing the rear sight. Some of the ones I made I left on rifles I traded or sold and should have removed them. I know you can buy fillers but the rear sight makes a better looking filler and is spring steel and cold blues pretty well. Broken front dovetail sights make good fillers also but on the rear none are as nice as the long rear worked down. Here is one I made for this Marlin 39A that I bought a couple years ago and had to do some work to the stock and fore arm from a job done by a previous owner.
Here is a picture of the rifle. I am happy with the way it turned out and it is a great shooter with the peep sight on it.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Don't pitch your broken sights

Post by tx gunrunner » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:11 am

I think that look much better then a Lyman dove tail blank . I see you cut it so both ends to match each other too . I cut new unbroken sight for dove tail blanks or I use the Lyman fold down sight . Great job on the gun stock too .
1 x