Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Getting started on the Carbine

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Getting started on the Carbine

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:49 pm

I have the wood here from a Marlin 39 Carbine. The finish has really dried out and is in need of a full refinish job. Was missing the Marlin bulls eye and the white spacer at the butt plate was not in very good shape and needing replaced. I have already put in a new bulls eye and very lightly scraped most of the finish off. Also made a new side on the lower portion of the butt plate and checkered the part I built up with Acra- glas jell dyed black. Had to checker the repaired edge to match the checkering on the rear of the plate. The rest of the work will be the sanding and bringing the spacer down to fit right. No sanding at the tang as I don't want to get the wood lower than the metal. Used acetone and scotch brite at the tang. I stripped both the stock and fore end as they were both needing new finish. I made a new spacer from a white kitchen drawer organizer. Now trimming the excess material down to a closer fit. Here is the new bulls eye glued in and sanded to level and also the fore arm from the Carbine. The sanded spot on the fore arm is where I steamed out a dent in the wood.
The stock stripped and the next step will be final sanding and getting the butt plate and spacer to fit perfect. The fore arm finish was stripped and sanded and finish was competed in one day. No stains were put on the wood. My friend wants it left natural in color. The finish will be sanded smooth as glass with 3000 grit sanding pad.

Trimming white spacer down before sanding it to the butt plate to stock fit.
3 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Getting started on the Carbine

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:55 pm

Very nice work Bandit! Will you put an oil rubbed finish on the stock?
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:42 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:55 pm
Very nice work Bandit! Will you put an oil rubbed finish on the stock?
The stock will get the same finish as the fore end. Wipe on Min-Wax polyurethane finish using Armour-all wipes between coats speeds the drying time up to where you can do multiple coats in a single day. Dries to a very hard finish. Have some rifles here with the finish done that way at least 10 years old now that still look the day they were done.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 pm

That's going to look great. I had a real hard time making myself put stain on that little Browning I was working on.
I can't believe the prices the Marlins are going for...A shop not far from here listed one (clean 1966 model) at $1399 last Saturday...it sold the same day.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:48 pm

Had to sand the fore arm back down but not totally strip it. Some how put a scratch in the finish that was deep enough to need sanded out but didn't get into the wood. I will try to do pictures of this project as I go and hope I don't have any more issues with getting it finished because I have my own stocks to get done before the weather gets nice in the spring. Sometimes things go wrong when finishing gun stocks.
1 x