Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

More powerful scope for My Ultra Lux

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

More powerful scope for My Ultra Lux

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:29 am

I have had two different scopes on my CZ Ultra Lux. A Leupold fixed 4X and then a Leupold 2-7 Rim fire model. My shooting partner kept telling me to move up to a more powerful scope for this very accurate rifle. So I bought a Hawke Vantage 6-24 1/2 mil dot scope a couple weeks back. I already knew I had to remove the rear sight for clearance with the larger objective. Well it wouldn't clear the sight mount even then and I wasn't going higher on rings with the hog back stock this rifle has. So back in the box with the Hawke and put it on the shelf for something with out any sights. So I had a 4.5-14 Burris Fullfield II that was yet to be mounted on any thing. Put it on and it cleared the sight base fine with the rings I wanted to use. Now to get a decent weather day to shoot it and see how it does at the longer distances. It shot some fine groups at 50 with the 2-7 Leupold but at a 100 on the 1/4" spinner on the KYL target it was hard to see. I like how well it sets on this rifle and cheek weld is good with it.
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: More powerful scope for My Ultra Lux

Post by roddy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:01 am

Looking forward to your thoughts. I also have a Burris 4.5-14, but it is the compact 'Timberline' model. I've mounted it on my 77/22, but haven't had the chance to get out and try it...too dang cold here.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:53 pm

I understand the issue with scope mounting on a CZ hogback stock. That's why I have avoided using a scope on any of the models with this stock in the past. The new 457 with its lower bolt throw has changed that for me, now. Still staying with low power on this 457 Trainer with a Weaver Classic Rimfire 2.5 - 7x, but I can mount it very low and get a pretty darn nice cheek weld. When I want to shoot iron sights with a hogback stock, I still have our 452 Trainer and our 455 UL.

457 Trainer 22 LR
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:25 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:29 am
I have had two different scopes on my CZ Ultra Lux. A Leupold fixed 4X and then a Leupold 2-7 Rim fire model. My shooting partner kept telling me to move up to a more powerful scope for this very accurate rifle. So I bought a Hawke Vantage 6-24 1/2 mil dot scope a couple weeks back. I already knew I had to remove the rear sight for clearance with the larger objective. Well it wouldn't clear the sight mount even then and I wasn't going higher on rings with the hog back stock this rifle has. So back in the box with the Hawke and put it on the shelf for something with out any sights. So I had a 4.5-14 Burris Fullfield II that was yet to be mounted on any thing. Put it on and it cleared the sight base fine with the rings I wanted to use. Now to get a decent weather day to shoot it and see how it does at the longer distances. It shot some fine groups at 50 with the 2-7 Leupold but at a 100 on the 1/4" spinner on the KYL target it was hard to see. I like how well it sets on this rifle and cheek weld is good with it.
I'm going to mount a Burris E-1 4.5-14 X 42 mm on my Browning T-Bolt. I was going to do it yesterday but Amazon sent me the wrong scope mount. The accidentally shipped me Browning X Bolt mounts. Let me know how it shoots.
Jake
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:09 pm

roddy wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:01 am
Looking forward to your thoughts. I also have a Burris 4.5-14, but it is the compact 'Timberline' model. I've mounted it on my 77/22, but haven't had the chance to get out and try it...too dang cold here.
I wanted the Timberline 4.5-14 compact model when I bought this one. My dealer had these on sale for $159.95 so I grabbed one before they were gone. Very clear scope with the three lines below the center for hold over. My Burris 6X HBR has been a really good scope but it was made in Colorado and these new ones are Philippines built like the Nikons. Had very good luck with Philippines Nikons.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:28 pm

That's a good price...I likely would have done the same. I've no complaints with the Philippine built Nikons either. I do prefer a really thin crosshair or target dot over a BDC reticle though. That is the only thing I'm not stuck on with the Burris.
1 x