Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another project. A 39A Carbine this time

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Another project. A 39A Carbine this time

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:20 am

I have the wood off a 39A Carbine to do a complete refinish on while the metal parts are at a bluing shop. I was picked to do the wood from how well the 39A "Squirrel Rifle" turned out I did last year. This one has no checkering or squirrel carving to work around. I have already put a new bulls eye in the butt stock and have been working on the butt plate. I ordered a new reproduction one and it is to small and would require removing wood to make it fit. The original had two places where a piece had been broken on the edge of it. It would have needed a lot of wood removed to make it work. I decided to use Acra-glas jell with the black die in it and rebuild the broken part with it. It gets very hard and hard enough to be able to checker it to match the checkering on the butt plate that extends clear out to the edges. I think it will be a decent job especially after cleaning up the compete plate and apply a very light clear coat on it to bring the gloss finish up to match the original. I rebuilt the lower left edge from almost clear to the end of the plate up to about mid way of the screw hole. Then I checkered it to match the factory work and will clear it after fitting a new white line spacer I am making from a piece of a kitchen drawer organizer and getting every thing to fit back up better than factory. The top left corner needed a repair also but no checkering needed there.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Another project. A 39A Carbine this time

Post by Mistered » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:08 pm

Nice job on the buttplate!
I can't see your repair at all in the pic.

In the future don't rule out Ebay for original gun parts however. Usually a lot of original stuff for popular, long term guns such as Marlin & Winchester and it has saved me a few times!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:24 pm

Actually owned a 39 Carbine and that's the Marlin I most regret letting get away. For those who don't know, that's 39 Carbine with a capital C, as in a very rare model with that name, made only for a few years in the mid 60s and not just a short barrel 39.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Bandit always does nice work. Those 39 Marlins are getting pricey.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Those 39 Marlins are getting pricey.
Yep - I plan to keep mine!
It will get a stock refinish sometime as well.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:24 pm

39A's are one of the best .22's ever. Taking mine[circa 1957] to the desert after Christmas. Grand old rifle.
Can't wait to see the finished rifle bandit.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Great job bandit...I really had to look. Once you get some clear on that, it will be invisible. Acra-glas...gonna have to look for that. I have been pondering a similar (but smaller) repair for a friend, on an old 1100 grip cap. Thanks for the inspiration...
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:14 pm

roddy wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:02 pm
Great job bandit...I really had to look. Once you get some clear on that, it will be invisible. Acra-glas...gonna have to look for that. I have been pondering a similar (but smaller) repair for a friend, on an old 1100 grip cap. Thanks for the inspiration...
Brownell's acra-glas jell in the green box and not the red box. Red is to runny and don't stay where you want it for these repairs. Has a black and brown die with it. Just a very small drop with the die will really make it dark. I punch a pin hole in the tube to use it and seal it back up with a piece of tape so it doesn't leak out for later use. Mix exactly like the directions tell you and don't reduce stirring time or it won't harden. 3 minutes means 3 minutes. Good luck on your repair.
1 x