Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another one on the table

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Another one on the table

Post by JEBar » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:55 am

delighted to see you back on the open forum .... congrats on your course work .... very sorry to hear about your Dad ....
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:10 pm

Sorry to read about your Dad's passing, Roddy. I'm glad you finally celebrated his life and that he witnessed your outstanding progress in college. I'm sure you made him proud.

I lost my wife to lung cancer three years ago. She was my best friend and lover for more than fifty years. The hole she left in my heart is huge; but, I am a lucky man to have spent my life with her. For most of her life, she earned a better than average salary and encouraged me to begin my college career at the age of forty-two.

I quit my job and attended school full time, first at a community college, then at a state university where (after graduation) I was hired and worked for fourteen years before retiring. Because I loved academics so much, she agreed early on that I should continue studying for a full six years until I had earned a Master's degree.

In my opinion, attending college as an older, non-traditional student is a much different and more meaningful experience than it it is for those who attend as teenagers. I highly recommend it as a retirement activity.

Congratulations to you. Keep up the good work.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:35 pm

Sooo sorry to hear of your loss Roddy!!
Memories never die.
Good to hear from you!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:14 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. I really appreciate it.
CT_Shooter: Yours hit me especially hard. I admire your attitude...Ang and I have been together (save a short time-out) since we were 16. She's the best friend I've ever had, and I can't imagine life without her...I'd probably "crash-and-burn".
I agree 100% on attending school as an adult. Life experience allowed me to relate to things in ways I never could as a kid.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:47 pm

Sorry for your loss Roddy. Losing family has been tough for me. I still miss my mother alot and shes been gone since 1994. She was only 68 and thats where Im at now. My father wasnt much of a father. He spent to much time in the martini world to have time for my sister and myself. Ive always enjoyed your post.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks Al. I'm having a bit of a rough time with this one too...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom. I had a pretty rocky start as well. At the end of the day, I always had a belly full of food, and a roof over my head. I am thankful for that.
1 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 am

Sorry for the loss of your Father. I called mine every day and visited often as we had so many interests in common. He was a great sounding board and always had an interesting perspective on my questions and problems. I hope you can find peace and fill the hole he has left.
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks again everyone.
I'm going to try to get this thread back on track. I've been (slowly) working away on projects, but haven't been taking pics along the way as I usually do. I've been back to work full time since September, and working from dawn to dusk, so getting decent outdoor pics has been a challenge. I did manage to snap a few last weekend, of a couple I've been working on...

I've wanted to try the .17 HM2 round for some time, but all that is available right now is either a low end Savage MK II (~ $300), or a high end Anschutz (~ $4000). I wanted something in between. I decided to 'make' my own using a CZ 455 or 457, and an aftermarket barrel. I kept my eyes on the local 'Gun Post' ads, and eventually a CZ 457 Varmint MTR popped up for a reasonable price, so I picked it up and fitted a Lothar Walther .17 HM2 barrel.
Varmint MTR .17 HM2.jpg

To those who know CZ rimfires, remember the red or green stained beechwood stocks CZ offered on the 455 'American' line a few years ago? Although I'm not big on colored wood, beech is pretty tough, and could make for a decent 'all-weather' rifle when combined with a stainless action/barrel. I often wondered what that combination (never offered by CZ) would look like, so when one of those 'red' stocks came up for sale locally, I had to bring it home and fit all the bits from my 455 .17 HMR Stainless.
I like it...
455 stainless .17 HMR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:14 am

That red stock with the stainless looks great. Now I’m a malcontent, never owned a CZ so if a colored stock comes up for sale on our local trader page I’ll have to give it some thought. Beautiful rifle.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Very nice roddy!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry