Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My plain looking Grand Finale

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

My plain looking Grand Finale

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:26 am

I took my plain stocked GF out of the safe and was almost ready to a full stock stripping and finish it over. I really hate to do stocks that require the checkering to need taped over to keep the finish out so I left it sit and think about it a while. I have a can of oil base dark walnut penetrating stain and with the GF having oil finish from the factory I tried putting a fairly heavy coat on the wood a leaving it sit for about 15 minutes or so. It penetrated the wood some and then I took an old tee shirt and wiped across the wood grain until it felt dry. It actually enhanced the wood grain a little. Might give it another shot of the stain in a few days.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: My plain looking Grand Finale

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:37 am

the wood sure looks good to me as it is 8-)
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Yes me to
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Me, three. :)

That may be plain for a GF, but I'd be tickled to get it on any CZ.
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:46 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:26 am
I took my plain stocked GF out of the safe and was almost ready to a full stock stripping and finish it over. I really hate to do stocks that require the checkering to need taped over to keep the finish out so I left it sit and think about it a while. I have a can of oil base dark walnut penetrating stain and with the GF having oil finish from the factory I tried putting a fairly heavy coat on the wood a leaving it sit for about 15 minutes or so. It penetrated the wood some and then I took an old tee shirt and wiped across the wood grain until it felt dry. It actually enhanced the wood grain a little. Might give it another shot of the stain in a few days.
What's the name of that stain? I might try some on a custom Remington stock I have.
Jake
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:55 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:46 pm
bandit1250 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:26 am
What's the name of that stain? I might try some on a custom Remington stock I have.
Jake
Min-wax dark walnut 2716. It is oil base. Wear rubber gloves. Don't leave it dry on the surface or you have to use brass or copper wool to get it back off. Never use steel wool on wood because of having oil in to keep it from rusting. Let it on 10-15 minutes time and rub it across the grain with a lint free old tee shirt. Rub until it feels dry to the touch. You can repeat the applications but wait a few hours or longer to leave it dry in the wood before adding more. Try it on an old stock first before going with a good one you don't want to mess up. Hope it works for you. It has worked well for me.
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:31 am

Looks great! The grain stands out quite nice now.
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach