Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Remington 10 shot magazines

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Remington 10 shot magazines

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:09 pm

Any one that has a Remington 541 or 581 rifle or has had one at some time and tried to use the 10 shot mags (only one still available new) probably had problems with it spitting the rounds out when inserting it into the rifle if loaded to the limit. I even threw a few away over the years because of that issue. Well I had a new one in the package gave to me so I thought I would see if I could take it apart (plastic mag). I got the little metal tab of the top behind the follower with out breaking any thing. Worked the follower and spring up out with nothing braking. I always felt there was way to much spring tension on the rounds when fully loaded. So I took a wild guess at how much to shorten the spring to reduce the tension. Shortened it and put it back together and loaded 10 rounds in it and went into the coal bin in the basement and cycled all ten with out a failure to feed in my 581 and never spit a round from the top. Got lucky on the first try on cutting the spring. The ten shot is nice when shooting the KYL spinner so as not to have to stop and reload. So next I may cut a 10 shot down and see if I can make a more flush fitting mag from one. I don't care if it ends up at four rounds total in the magazine as it will look better. Will have to make the bottom and Acra-glass the bottom back on but should be no problem. Here is a picture of how much I took from the spring. I also bent the base of the spring to match the factory one before cutting it.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Remington 10 shot magazines

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:22 pm

knowing what you know now, it'd be good to have back the ones you threw away ... good job of trouble shooting (pun intended :P ) and modification
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Remington 10 shot magazines

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Where there's a will (and plenty of skill), there's a way. Nicely done.
2 x