Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin papoose

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Marlin papoose

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:46 am

I'm intrigued by them...bidding on a blued one now on gun broker...though the stainless would be sweet they appear pricier....anyone have one? What ya think if them?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Marlin papoose

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:18 am

its my understanding that the papoose is OK .... that said, I prefer the Henry AR7 ....

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/11/henry- ... al-rifles/
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:56 am

Good eval/compare article.

Here is another review of the Henry rifle from USCCA which includes design history and use by USAF personnel.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/h ... r-7-rifle/
JEBar wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:18 am
its my understanding that the papoose is OK .... that said, I prefer the Henry AR7 ....
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:30 am

A friend of mine has a Papoose and she let me shoot it when she came for a visit. The Papoose in essentially a takedown version of the Marlin Model 60 semi-auto which has a rep as being an accurate, out of the box 22 autoloader. Her Papoose was, indeed, decently accurate.

A tip from a gunsmith friend of mine on the Marlin 60 action: keep it clean. He says he used to get a lot of Model60s that folks wanted to sell because they're jamming. He'd buy them, cheap, then take the action apart and cleaned them and they worked great. The action is not as simple as a 10/22. Has side plates, but they can be removed.
1 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:29 pm

I have one in SS and as MCG above states they are like a model 60 takedown. Accuracy is pretty good and it is certainly packable. Also have an AR7, older model built by Charter Arms and the accuracy and reliability are so so. Have been wanting to try the Henry version.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:01 pm

In my humble opinion the Marlin definitely looks better. I looked hard at the Henry once but couldn’t get past the fat butt stock.
I know that it had to be made that way to fit the barrel and receiver inside. And to make it water tight.
But I think that for me any take down full size rifle would serve my needs better. I don’t expect to ever be capsized in a canoe and need my rifle to float.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:09 am

RetiredSeabee wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:01 pm
I don’t expect to ever be capsized in a canoe and need my rifle to float.
I share that expectation .. ;) .. well, or lack thereof .. :D .. I've seriously considered buying 3 of the Henry AR7's .... one for each of our sons and one for us .... the one for us would go into our camper and be with us during our travels
0 x