Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin 375

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Marlin 375

Post by BigBlue » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 am

Whenever I find an older lever action rifle on a used gun rack I have to go over and check it out (AKA fondling it). My local gun shop had a Marlin 375 sitting on his rack, I looked it over and passed on it twice. When I went there for the third time and it was still there I knew it had to come home with me. The stock was a little bit rough, the action was filthy and it had a small amount of surface rust on the top of the barrel. When I got it home I first ordered reloading dies for it, then stripped the rifle down to the receiver. All the parts went into a parts cleaner and the stock got stripped down using Citri-strip. I wiped down and lubed the parts, gave the rust on the barrel a gentle scrubbing with 0000 steel wool, reblued that portion of the barrel, replaced the stocks missing bullseye that had fallen out, gave it a light sanding followed by three coats of tung oil. Not real shiny, but a decent match for the satin finish of the original Mar-Shield finish. I removed the sights and replaced them with a set of Skinner sights, plugging the rear sight dovetail.
Here's the finished product.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Marlin 375

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:45 am

tip of my cap for your ability to undertake such a project .... congrats indeed on your new lever action .... looking forward to your coming range reports and use impressions .... do you have hunting and/or range work in mind for it .. :?:
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:46 am

Hope you enjoy it. Let us know how it shoots with a range report when you get it going.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:12 am

Coming from someone who has accomplished several older gun 'facelifits' (and a couple 'minor' restorations) you did and excellent job on a great rifle!

Fortunately you did not run into any 'hidden' problems and everything you did maintained or increased the value of the rifle.

A hint however for your next project - replace the steel wool with brass wool or try the 'penny trick' on small areas of rust. You might be able to save the original blue this way.

On my recent 'intense' cleaning of my 1899 WInchester I was able to remove essentially all of what minor rust was on the barrel and not damage any of the original bluing that remained using the 'penny' trick'.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:04 am

Back when I was a young Marine stationed in NC at New River Air Station, I was mostly a hangunnner. I decided I wanted a long gun, and the exchange was having a sale. They had a Winchester Model 94 Lever Action on Clearance, and I had a Ruger Single Action... Sounded like a match. I asked why this one was marked down and the gal told me it was a special order caliber that hadn't been picked up... 375 Winchester instead of 30-30.

The ammo for each rifle was first box free, so I was out the door with my 375... Not realizing what I bought. The gun was beautiful, finish was flawless, and the stock was highly figured. I just figured all lever actions had that much recoil. :lol: I went back to the exchange for more ammo, and ... they didn't stock it. Like the rifle, it was special order... And precious on a LCpls salary. Hey... :roll: ... I was young, and am not ashamed to admit I didn't know much (of anything) about hunting rifles at that point. ;)

I was bemoaning the purchase, when one of the Sergeants in the adjoining workshop heard my plight. He said he might be able to help. He would come over and take a look at my new rifle, and maybe take it off my hands, he had been looking for a new hog gun.

We worked out a nice trade, everyone was happy. (My Sergeant had come along, you know, to look out for his Marine.) :D
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:10 am

I wasn't going to hunt, just target shoot, improve my long gun skills. I think he traded me a 223 bolt gun. For some reason, 223 ammo was plentiful for that gun since I was shooting with the base rifle and pistol teams. :?
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:44 am

The 375 in the Marlin was a pretty rare bird, that's for sure. The 375 was just one of those cartridges that never really took off, though it sure looked like it would when it was introduced. I have seen the same happen with many new cartridges over the years. That's why I never jump on the new cartridge bandwagon.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:47 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:44 am
The 375 in the Marlin was a pretty rare bird, that's for sure. The 375 was just one of those cartridges that never really took off, though it sure looked like it would when it was introduced. I have seen the same happen with many new cartridges over the years. That's why I never jump on the new cartridge bandwagon

AMEN .... I've seen the same and feel the same .... I enjoy learning about new cartridges but tend to stick with those I know and am very familiar with
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:16 am

I have a .375 Marlin that I bought brand new. I wanted a Marlin 38-55 but they were not made in a new rifle at that time. I bought R.C.B.S. reloading dies, a few boxes of new .375 brass, a Lyman bullet mould , and 200 220 grain jacketed bullets. I still have the rifle and enjoy shooting it.
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:22 am

Travlin wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:16 am
I have a .375 Marlin that I bought brand new.
I know nothing about a 375 .... any info you would care to share about firing one would be appreciated .... recoil .. :?: .. muzzle blast .. :?: .. barrel jump .. :?: trajectory .. :?:
0 x