Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Truck gun

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Truck gun

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:27 pm

I am planning to do a rifle for in my pick up. I want it to be a 223 Rem.(no AR's) I want it to have a barrel 22" or less and I don't care if it is wood or a synthetic. I want something that I don't have to worry about marking it up and a synthetic I could paint would work for that. Would like something that I can work the trigger to suit me on weight of pull. It don't have to have an adjustable trigger as the way I look at it if they put it together it some how comes apart and can be worked on. Working on some of these triggers can be a hassle but it usually can be sorted out after studying how every thing in it works. I already have a rifle in mind that won't break the bank and are known to be good shooters. I once said I would never own one as I never liked how they looked. I always thought that if you looked up "ugly" in the dictionary there would be a picture of this rifle there. By now I know some members here already probably know which rifle I am leaning toward for this project. Any ideas which one?
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Truck gun

Post by Henry88 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:53 am

When you said ugly, I immediately thought Hi-Point, but they don't make a .223.

So it has to be the Ruger mini-14?
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:18 am

Henry88, That Mini-14 would be a good guess except Pa. is still operating the game commission from the dark ages and semi-auto rifles and semi handguns are not legal to hunt with. I should have said this will be a beater hunting rifle for varmint-small game to be kept in my truck. I was thinking last night about maybe painting the entire rifle and scope camo. I won't even have to wipe it off then and just keep the bore and the firing mechanism clean. I would like to have a case that fits the back of a pick-up seat but I heard at a LGS they stopped making them because they are illegal in some states and are considered carrying a weapon concealed. :? Sure don't want it in the back window to advertise it either. ;)
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:56 am

If you are willing to go an additional 2" on the barrel length the Savage Model 11 would be an excellent fit. I have a modell 111 VT. It has the bull barrel, and Accu trigger. Very accurate, plastic stock that laughs at bumps and knocks, and is ugly as homemade sin.
Last edited by clovishound on Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:09 pm

1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Sir Henry wrote:I would get a CZ 527 Carbine.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/
To nice and to much money for what this rifle will be put through between the truck and the four wheeler. I also have a bad time buying a 527 after a few duds I had in accuracy. The Hornet was fair the 204 and the Fireball were worse. If I was to get another one it would be a 7.62x39 and leave the open sights on or go with a peep. I have much better luck with the Remington and Savage rifles in center fire for really good accuracy. I like the 527 rifles for their build quality but I don't want one for a beater class rifle. I think I found a beater truck gun and I am leaving now to go and maybe pick it up.
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:45 pm

I already own what I would consider to be a good "truck rifle." A rifle that does not cost too much. One that is accurate. One that can get dinged up and beat around and still function as need. For my situation the Braztech (Rossi) R92 lever action in .38 spl/.357 magnum would serve that purpose quite well.
I don't carry it in my truck on a regular basis but I do carry it (uncased) often on the 4 wheeler when busting through the brush. With my older eyes, it is good to 75 yds (prefer 50yds). I do sometimes carry a Henry rifle on the 4 wheeler but always in a case.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:06 pm

Sounds like a rifle I picked up a few weeks ago, a Ruger American Ranch. Short barrel, light weight, 5.56/.223, 5-round magazine and shoots great. Slapped an inexpensive Bushnell 3-9x40 scope on it and it is a winner in my book.
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Steve51 wrote:I already own what I would consider to be a good "truck rifle." A rifle that does not cost too much. One that is accurate. One that can get dinged up and beat around and still function as need. For my situation the Braztech (Rossi) R92 lever action in .38 spl/.357 magnum would serve that purpose quite well.
I don't carry it in my truck on a regular basis but I do carry it (uncased) often on the 4 wheeler when busting through the brush. With my older eyes, it is good to 75 yds (prefer 50yds). I do sometimes carry a Henry rifle on the 4 wheeler but always in a case.
He wanted it in .223 or I would have made the same recommendation except I would have suggested a Ranch Hand.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:19 am

I picked up my "Truck Gun" Friday. They had just put it on the rack that morning at the pawn shop. It is a ugly Savage Axis but they seem to have a good accuracy record on the forums. Bad reports on the triggers with this plain model with out the accu-trigger which I block out any way. I don't like extra things you have to pull on triggers. I think this rifle will be a good truck gun and no worry about beating it up a little. This is a youth model 223 Rem. that makes it shorter overall and has a 20" barrel. The trigger is some thing that can be improved on with some work. I got it to a little under the weight I was hoping for. I need to stop at Harbor Freight and get a cheap feeler gauge to cut a piece from to J-B on the sear after I get a good measurement on the thickness I need. Here is the rifle before I do any mods to it other than the trigger. It was $225 OTD and will get the 3-9 Nikon on it.
I made some mods to the trigger. Removed the factory spring (left spring pictured) and got a lighter wire spring. Got a 10-24NC thread screw and made a trigger stop screw that the spring will be held in place by. The factory spring is a two different size spring that screws in to the 10-24 thread. I cut the 10-24 screw off and it has adjustment now for the over travel and I used blue loc-tite so it stays put. I also put air craft grade aluminum tape on the sear to get a measurement of how much thickness I will need to use from a feeler gauge and J-B it on. You have to allow .002 for the thickness of the J-B along with the feeler gauge material. I am now a little under three pound and that is O.K. for a hunting trigger.
2 3/4lb. but goes to almost three when in the stock because of the design of the trigger housing.
1 x