Post by EasyEd » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Hey All,

Still trying to post an image...

My lever actions...

Adler 12 gauge
BLR 30-06
BLR 7mm-08
Henry base 22

Thinking on adding a Winchester 1892 in 45 colt I found on the net.

Also have 2 bolt guns model 70 in 30-06 and old marlin 22.
IMG_20191020_211524312-picsay.jpg
Now we see if this post works. You should be able zoom in an out finger pinching spreading. If this works I can get better pics - I just happened to have em out. Took the trigger locks off for the pic.

-Ed-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: BLR

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:39 pm

I'd like to know more about the BLR's .... are they new generation models .... how would you rate the recoil of both ... have you had an opportunity to get a feel for the longest range you feel comfortable hunting with them
0 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Hey All,

The pic worked! :D

Hmm as to the questions. I've had the BLR for about 26 years. The 7mm-08 about 2 years.

When I got the 06 I was thinking of just being a one gun guy. I experimented with a fair bit of ammo types and found it likes 165gr hornady light magnum (now superformance) and that is what I've shot the most. I've shot targets out to 300 yds and game a fair bit less. The gun has a weaver 2-10 scope with Warne quick release rings. I don't recall the sling brand but I luv it due to lots of carry styles which allow quick shoots. All in the rifle weighs 10+ lbs - remember it is a long action while the 7mm-08 is a short action so it is lighter. I actually don't know what it weighs all in as I haven't decided what scope rings sling. I have put a 2x7 Leupold on it and shot it at around 150 yds. I don't yet know what ammo brand it likes. I suspect all in it will be a solid 2lbs+ lighter than the 06.

The point is lots of variables go into felt recoil and so I thot a description of the rifles might help. The recoil of the 08 is definitely less than the 06. The 06 starts to affect my accuracy meaning hurts after about 10 - 12 shots shooting light mag ammo at a bench. I don't know my limit on the 08. I need to get to work finishing my set up on the 08 and find the ammo it likes best. Suffice to say it is much lighter recoiling to me than the 06 with the ammo I've shot thru it.

Range 30-06 out to 300 yds I feel fine with. I don't know how far it would shoot accurately just as I don't know for the 7-08. I'm thinking I do want to see what both rifles real limits might be.

Ten plus lbs is a lot heavier now than it was 20 even 10 years ago so I got the 08 as I wanted a lighter less recoil rifle and I have that now. I just don't know it's limits.

I will say the 06 has nicer wood than the 08.

Hope this helps

-Ed-
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:45 pm

very interesting ... info appreciated .... I figured the 06 would have a stronger recoil but didn't realize it would be that much
0 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Hey All,

I wanted to have done a lot more in terms of getting to know my 7mm-08 but my labrador retriever passed away in August (cancer at 8 - that hurt) my mother in law in Sept (90 with cancer so expected) and a really wet oct an real busy with work - I haven't been out shooting. Maybe a nice Nov?? I wish I could tell you more.

Anyway here is a calculated recoil chart for a 7 lb rifle.

Note my 30-06 is much heavier but shoots above standard ammo. The relative difference is what jumps out at me. I don't know that the felt recoil of my 08 is like 25+ odd percent less than the 06 but it is definitely less and not bad to me.

-Ed-
1 x