Spencer Rifle

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Spencer Rifle

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:27 pm

dddrees wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:30 am
Regardless at some point I have to decide which ones do and do not appear to be a good fit for me and the Spencer although it seemed rather cool for a number of various reasons ultimately was something that I didn't think would be a good fit for me.
I'd thoroughly enjoy looking and reading about them, and wouldn't pass up an opportunity to handle and/or fire one .... doing so just might change my thinking but the only single shot firearms I have a glimmer of interest in are old style black power
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:08 pm

JEBar wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:27 pm
dddrees wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:30 am
Regardless at some point I have to decide which ones do and do not appear to be a good fit for me and the Spencer although it seemed rather cool for a number of various reasons ultimately was something that I didn't think would be a good fit for me.
I'd thoroughly enjoy looking and reading about them, and wouldn't pass up an opportunity to handle and/or fire one .... doing so just might change my thinking but the only single shot firearms I have a glimmer of interest in are old style black power
I wouldn't mind checking one out or shooting one. I purchased a New Original Henry from Henry because of my interest in the Henry Rifle as well a Winchester Miroku 1866, 1873, and 1892. I found the research and the history just added to the experience. Not only did the Henry design with a few small modifications eventually become the lever gun as we know it but the Henry Rifle was just more appealing to me. So I actually decided to eventually go the Winchester route and not only the Henry Repeating Rifle but basically it's siblings as well. Probably because it' did become the lever gun as I remember it. Anyway when it came to purchasing a Spencer that's when I decided there were things I was more interested in purchasing that would be better fits for me. Same that was ultimately true when I started considering the purchase of a Sharps Rifle although this had more to do with caliber than anything else.

Regardless a Spencer Rifle although purchased in more numbers by the Union Army than the Henry Rifle during the Civil War was in fact slower to fire than the Henry for a number of reasons. That in itself did not dissuade me as much as when I started to paying attention closer to the details.

Regardless in an overall view of what I wanted ultimately there were guns which I wanted much more so at the time anyway the Spencer did not meet the cut. Personally even though the Sharps is a one shot I still think I would want one of them more than a Spencer. Besides the Sharps has a longer more intriguing history to me. So although it could be had in 22LR the 45-70 seemed more appropriate for a Sharps Rifle but that is much more expensive round and I don't reload. So I still look at Sharps but it's kind of on pause for now.

The Spencer is a repeater and of course being one of the first has it issues. So does the Henry, but the Spencer just doesn't appeal to me as much and the issues it has is more not fitting for me. Of all of them the Extractor seems more problematic for me.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:03 pm

I like the long barrel Spencer better than the carbine. It is a cool historic firearm.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:34 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:03 pm
I like the long barrel Spencer better than the carbine. It is a cool historic firearm.

I get it, and in fact that's why I spent the time I did looking into it.
0 x