Went to the Dark Side

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Went to the Dark Side

Post by PT7 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Greyhawk wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Welcome to the 'dark side' sir! To be honest I have mixed feelings about being an AR owner at times. But, I sure have enjoyed competing in three-gun competitions with my kids this year, and using an AR in the rifle section of the comp is about the only way to go if you want to be competitive. My wife refuses to call it an AR, she calls it a CSR (Competition Sport Rifle) and that is how we use them.
Being part of our local firearms sporting community has been great for my kids. How often do you see 15 year old girls competing against 65 year old men in a sport? Yet, that is three gun in our neck of the woods. Everyone has been positive, encouraging, and respectful, while all the time being surrounded by AR's, Shotguns and semi-auto pistols. As we know there are many positive sides to firearms that are not shown at all in the media or the culture. Firearms (and hunting) have brought the generations in my family together in numerous unique ways.
One definite positive is that my 4 kids really like hanging out with old guys and firearms. And that has been nothing but good in our lives.
Three-gun competition is a great sport, Greyhawk! And yes, the AR suits it just fine. Glad to hear your kids are involved in it. Let your wife know she picked quite an interesting moniker in using "CSR."

I'd like to find out what shotgun you/they use in your competition? That was the coolest firearm for me used in this sport. I used a Benelli 12ga Pump, and always was challenged when having to reload it...even with a mag capacity of 7. It was a blast to take out a wooden door and the ground flip targets in the s/g part.

Sure hope the kids keep after it. The younger age is a definite ++plus++ to doing well in this active sport,

Enjoy!
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:55 pm

Careful Jake I never thought Id own one either but I have several. Including one in 308 caliber. Dont shoot them much but I do own some. Got to admit though they are alot of fun.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 am

I’m not really a big fan of ARs, but I do appreciate their capabilities and heritage. You have to love all the ways to customize them too. Here in the land of the Arctic Peso our current government is looking into making ARs into a military/police only type deal. They’ve put a prohibition on AK variants as well. Being a die hard lever guy, I’m not too fussed, but I do have a M1 Carbine that I love and would hate to see them mess with it’s status. Luckily we also have an election coming up in November that may get us some relief from these proposed changes.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:09 am

Wife mentioned a couple times getting one, in case they become no longer available. Rumors of Gov armageddon or zombie apocalypse.
Last edited by Mags on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:10 pm

I have 2, shot them each once. They are fun but I like my lever guns better. I too bought them because I expected they would not be available this long. I am looking to sell one or maybe both because I just do not shoot them.
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:19 pm

PT7 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 pm
Greyhawk wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Welcome to the 'dark side' sir! To be honest I have mixed feelings about being an AR owner at times. But, I sure have enjoyed competing in three-gun competitions with my kids this year, and using an AR in the rifle section of the comp is about the only way to go if you want to be competitive. My wife refuses to call it an AR, she calls it a CSR (Competition Sport Rifle) and that is how we use them.
Being part of our local firearms sporting community has been great for my kids. How often do you see 15 year old girls competing against 65 year old men in a sport? Yet, that is three gun in our neck of the woods. Everyone has been positive, encouraging, and respectful, while all the time being surrounded by AR's, Shotguns and semi-auto pistols. As we know there are many positive sides to firearms that are not shown at all in the media or the culture. Firearms (and hunting) have brought the generations in my family together in numerous unique ways.
One definite positive is that my 4 kids really like hanging out with old guys and firearms. And that has been nothing but good in our lives.
Three-gun competition is a great sport, Greyhawk! And yes, the AR suits it just fine. Glad to hear your kids are involved in it. Let your wife know she picked quite an interesting moniker in using "CSR."

I'd like to find out what shotgun you/they use in your competition? That was the coolest firearm for me used in this sport. I used a Benelli 12ga Pump, and always was challenged when having to reload it...even with a mag capacity of 7. It was a blast to take out a wooden door and the ground flip targets in the s/g part.

Sure hope the kids keep after it. The younger age is a definite ++plus++ to doing well in this active sport,

Enjoy!
PT7
We all use pump guns... The kids both have Browning BPS's and I use my grandfathers old Remington Wingmaster. Been looking at a Mossberg semi-auto though... Might be my firearm purchase of 2020.... (I'm maxed out for 2019 :lol: )
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:50 pm

I don't know if I could teach this old dog the new tricks required to really enjoy and get the most out of what a good "CSR" would bring to the party. Seems like an endless list of parts and accessories and LOTS of moving parts to keep clean and maintain, but maybe the operative phrase is "seems like" and it's not really that complicated.
The number of manufacturers is also pretty daunting, so it's hard to know where to start, so I'd probably go down the Sig-Sauer path, just because I have so much experience with them and their customer support.
All in all, it's just not an itch I need to scratch right now. I like the idea of a 9mm version, however. Might be worth some research...
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:06 pm

ESquared wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:50 pm
I don't know if I could teach this old dog the new tricks required to really enjoy and get the most out of what a good "CSR" would bring to the party. Seems like an endless list of parts and accessories and LOTS of moving parts to keep clean and maintain, but maybe the operative phrase is "seems like" and it's not really that complicated.
The number of manufacturers is also pretty daunting, so it's hard to know where to start, so I'd probably go down the Sig-Sauer path, just because I have so much experience with them and their customer support.
All in all, it's just not an itch I need to scratch right now. I like the idea of a 9mm version, however. Might be worth some research...
The forum would probably not allow some of my thoughts on this issue...It does warrant some conversation though...privately..if at all.
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Well, my preliminary research says it's not in my Price/Value wheelhouse anyway, so you and I can discuss offline, Mark!
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 am

I love lever guns, but my kids have no interest in them. They all love semi-autos. All a dad can do is hang his head and ask himself, "Oh, where did I go wrong?!?" :cry: :cry: :cry:
0 x