Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Went to the Dark Side

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Went to the Dark Side

Post by Mistered » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 am

I too bought them because I expected they would not be available this long.
It has been this thought process that has probably sold more ARs than anything else - including a high percentage of them to first time buyers who had never even owned a gun of any kind.

Basically the whole AR 'craze' can be attributed to one event that took place in 1994.

There seems to be a shift however away from ARs (and variants) - historically low prices, massive numbers of them for sale used and some manufacturers of them having folded are evidence of it.
Ammo prices also drove many away from AR shooting as unlike levers, bolts or single shots 50-100 rounds might be a shooting 'session' but many AR owners feel the need for massive round counts of several hundred - or much more when out shooting.
Another reason is a large percentage of the first time owners were 20 Somethings at the time - are now 40 somethings (or more) and if even still interested in shooting sports have moved on to other gun styles.

As a veteran (twice over) I shot enough M-16s to satisfy my desires and I simply have no interest in owning one - but actually did at one time and wish I still had it as it was a pre ban 1978 Colt SP-1 AR-15 but I sold it before the wave of AR ownership was even a rising curl.

I'll even admit to a potential thought of owning one again, and even kind of started looking for one but it had to be a specific model - a Colt AR 15 A2 HB Sporter. I came close, and actually found one at a GS a couple years ago but after hefting it I simply realized I didn't really care for the configuration and let it go.
0 x

Coach
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Coach » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:43 am

Welcome to the Dark Side...

I have a couple of them and they are set up differently.

One is set up with a bipod and a long range scope. Think of it like a sniper rifle.

The other one I have is set up with a Eotech red dot with a magnifier. Think of it as more of a combat rifle.

I started off with the iron sights but with my old eyes I couldn't see where I was hitting the targets. Much more fun for me when I can see where I'm hitting.

Lastly, being in California I have Mag locks on both of them and 10 round magazines...So I won't be a Felon.
0 x
Deplorable California 2A supporter.

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Mistered wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 am
I too bought them because I expected they would not be available this long.
It has been this thought process that has probably sold more ARs than anything else - including a high percentage of them to first time buyers who had never even owned a gun of any kind.

Basically the whole AR 'craze' can be attributed to one event that took place in 1994.

There seems to be a shift however away from ARs (and variants) - historically low prices, massive numbers of them for sale used and some manufacturers of them having folded are evidence of it.
Ammo prices also drove many away from AR shooting as unlike levers, bolts or single shots 50-100 rounds might be a shooting 'session' but many AR owners feel the need for massive round counts of several hundred - or much more when out shooting.
Another reason is a large percentage of the first time owners were 20 Somethings at the time - are now 40 somethings (or more) and if even still interested in shooting sports have moved on to other gun styles.

As a veteran (twice over) I shot enough M-16s to satisfy my desires and I simply have no interest in owning one - but actually did at one time and wish I still had it as it was a pre ban 1978 Colt SP-1 AR-15 but I sold it before the wave of AR ownership was even a rising curl.

I'll even admit to a potential thought of owning one again, and even kind of started looking for one but it had to be a specific model - a Colt AR 15 A2 HB Sporter. I came close, and actually found one at a GS a couple years ago but after hefting it I simply realized I didn't really care for the configuration and let it go.
This is me as well with only one difference. Only once but it was for 20 years.

For me something nice with real good looking wood and steel has always been something I was drawn to a lot more. This is the way it was since I was much younger and probably would always be the same. Besides I see no real purpose or benefit for me in owning an AR.
Last edited by dddrees on Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:46 pm

Ditto.
dddrees wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:07 pm
... I see no real purpose or benefit for me from owning an AR.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:06 pm

The AR-15 platform is the newer generation's semi-automatic replacement of the 1960's single shot T/C Contender plus an Erector set.
1 action can be used to take a child thru to full adulthood by just changing and/or adding bits and pieces to the "upper" barrel system. It can go from single shot 22LR to home defense, hunting or 1000 yard competition.
precious0ou.jpg
ratshotb4-29-11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob