Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

10/22 Target Ruger

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

10/22 Target Ruger

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:04 pm

After shooting my wife's 10/22 I kind of got to liking it and going shooting with her and shooting it some. I took everything out of the trigger and polished all the contact points. I worked the sear and hammer engagement points down to less engagement and polished them until they look like chrome. I had got it to 3 1/2 pound and started with around five pound. The big thing for me is it has none of the rough creep that was in it. I have left hers there for now and getting to work on mine now.Replacement triggers are much better than factory Ruger triggers.
Well I ordered me a new Target model with the stainless "Hammer Forged" barrel and the grey and black laminated stock. These were left over models that have been discontinued. The very first evening out this one shot as good as hers and hers is a really good shooter.So I have been working the trigger over on it now. These triggers vary in pull weight and I believe it is from the loose fit of the parts that make the sear and hammer not set consistent each time. I may try a shim kit to tighten the side play up. Also the plunger holes are drilled at an angle and require a lot of pressure to move the plunger behind the trigger. Takes about 1 1/2 to 2 lb. just for that return spring. I reversed the plunger and put the spring on the out side so I am only compressing the spring and not pushing the plunger. Took over a 1/2 lb off with out shortening the spring but still has to much force on the return. A lighter wire would help as long as it has enough to click the trigger back to set the sear solidly into the hammer. Here is my new toy to keep me occupied for a while and burn up ammo. I liked the polished spiraled barrel better than I thought I would.
This is the trigger parts I have been working on.
I modified the hole in the bolt lock open plate to make it release by pulling the bolt back and leaving it go and not have to push the release back in.

The trigger with the spring on the out side and the plunger inside.
I have got it under 3 1/2 lb shown on the scale now but need to get the pull more consistent. Pull is under 3 lb.
3 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: 10/22 Target Ruger

Post by wingnut » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:38 pm

Seems there are some wear spots on the edges of the ejector and bolt hold open. Clean all the edges of those 2 stamped pieces (second pic down, top and bottom left pieces) to ensure there are no burrs, a file works.
2 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks for all the info, I'm sure I'll get a 1022 some day.

I would not have guessed that I would have liked the black laminate, but on that rifle it looks real good.

But can it shoot a heteronuclear molecule at 50yds?
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:40 pm

:shock:

:D
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:12 am

Henry88 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:53 pm

But can it shoot a heteronuclear molecule at 50yds?
It looks like you could shoot a heteronuclear molecule THROUGH that massive barrel.

Great looking rifle and kudos for your smithing skills. Look forward to hearing of your progress.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:05 am

Good for you, bandit. I think you're happiest when you have a project gun like that one, but I also think semi-autos are fun to shoot. I know, I know, that sounds like heresy coming from a single shot nut like me, but it is true. We even have one, it's a mid 80s Sporter Deluxe and it actually shoots very well, once you find the ammo it likes. We put a BX trigger in it and called it good.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:33 am

I admire you're gunsmith skills Bandit. I wish I had the same knowledge. I've owned several 10/22's. I took one all the way to what you are doing one time with aftermarket barrel and triggers. It was a good shooter. But like other guns it moved on and I no longer own one. I've owned them since then but after my last 10/22 which was terrible I don't think another one will be finding a home at my house.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Nice work. Those barrels are supposed to be pretty good...I had thought about doing some work to my 77/22 utilizing one of them.
To limit overtravel on a 10/22, I use a small piece of grass trimmer cord (green) inside the return spring. I'm not sure if it will work as well with the spring/plunger reversed, but it may be worth a try if you find yours excessive.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:17 pm

Gotta love the 10/22 for the tinker factor. Great little rifle with a crappy trigger out of the box. But just improving the trigger and it is a really great bargain.
Have fun with this project it is always a pleasure to follow as you improve your rifles.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)