Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New benchrest gun

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

New benchrest gun

Post by Old Syko » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:01 am

Went to the gun store to check on another Henry and came away with this thing they had on consignment. It's a 22-250 barrel on a 3 digit serial # 1908 large ring Mauser action with an excellent aftermarket trigger I've never heard of before. The gun was built by a guy in Tennessee that has a reputation for top notch work quite a few years ago. It was test fired by him and the owner never shot it. That won't be the case any longer since 22-250 is likely my favorite caliber. Not exactly a field gun by any means. I haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing around 18#. Circa 60s? World Class Tasco 6-18x50 scope that's surprisingly clear. If it shoots like I hope it will get a stock makeover and modern glass. I'll be trying it out between showers within the next couple days for real even though I did check it out and shoot it off the back porch already. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: New benchrest gun

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:10 am

Gotta love a bolt gun, but, especially, a bolt gun built on a Mauser action like that. Love to hear how it shoots for you.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:14 am

That looks nice just the way it is. I actually like the stock for bench work. But, at 18lb, that be heavy. I'll bet its a shooter.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 am

please take us along in the evolution of that unique rifle ..... looking forward to your reports
0 x

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:08 am

I'll have more info on the original builder in the next couple days. Hope he's still on this earth. I'd love to ask him some questions. The guy who had it here had picked it up through an estate sale and he's not a shooter so he didn't know too much but he's going to get me more info. Even the new finish on the bolt was still perfect until I started working with it. I have plenty of general use ammo that was full length sized and loaded with Sierra 52 grain BTHPs over both 760, 380, and 4064 to start testing with so I'm part way there already. Bore scoped the barrel and I think it's the slickest and sharpest I've ever seen and I'm not exactly new to this game. Starting to rain again so it won't be today or tomorrow. :evil:
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:26 am

Truly a nice find OS. reminds me of my old Anscutz!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry