Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A new toy for my wife

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

A new toy for my wife

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:37 am

A friend is getting his rifle numbers down to what he shoots and not keeping dust collectors. He came out to our home the other night with a rifle he wanted to sell at a very good price. I told him my wife likes them but I don't care for them much. He said he wanted $250 for it and it had barely been shot. I told him I would see if she wanted it. So later that evening I showed it to her and told her what he wanted and she liked it and said she would consider getting it but it was heavy. So the next day he called about how his shooting at the matches went the night before and I told he may want to buy the rifle. He said the $250 included the scope(that would be swapped out for another). So after we talked a while he said "If she wants that rifle I am just going to give it to her". I told him she would pay for it. He said "I want her to have it and I am giving it to her for nothing." He wouldn't change his mind so she now has a new toy. We shot it a while ago and it shot decent but seemed to be walking a little right while shooting. The action screw was loose and after tightening the screw it shoots pretty well now with CCI Pistol Match ammo. 35 yds. with changing winds I kept five shots smaller than a dime with a 4 lb. trigger which will be modified soon to at least a mid 2.5 lb. pull. Here is the new "lead sprayer" that she can buy her own ammo for. ;) :lol:
Image[
[url=https://imgur.com/DEd2JXy]Image
3 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: A new toy for my wife

Post by ESquared » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:43 am

Maybe it's just the angle of the pics, but that scope seems huge! What is it, exactly? And does the rifle have a name/model?

Congrats to your wife on a true "gift." Gotta love free!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:00 pm

I love the lead sprayer title. Lol. May have to drop that on my son. He won't appreciate it. Haha
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:30 pm

ESquared wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:43 am
Maybe it's just the angle of the pics, but that scope seems huge! What is it, exactly? And does the rifle have a name/model?

Congrats to your wife on a true "gift." Gotta love free!
The scope says Hunt Down on it and it is as big as it looks. It is a 6-24x50 AO Mil- dot with the green and red lighted reticle. It will have a very short stay on top of her rifle. Since I made my original post I shot RWS target pistol ammo and it REALLY likes it. Ragged holes at 35 yds. no problem. The gun as far as I know is the 10/22 Target Hammer Forged. Has like a spiraled looking barrel in matte stainless. I will make that scope a gift to a young shooter who needs a scope and don't have any money or just wants the biggest scope in his town. ;) :lol:
3 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:13 pm

Hilarious and good for you to find a good home for that scope! Truly a "bragging rights" accessory for the right young shooter!

Glad to hear you found an ammo it likes. That can be the key, and ragged holes at 35 seems like a keeper!!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:43 pm

ESquared wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:13 pm
Hilarious and good for you to find a good home for that scope! Truly a "bragging rights" accessory for the right young shooter!

Glad to hear you found an ammo it likes. That can be the key, and ragged holes at 35 seems like a keeper!!
I will have a few targets to post later in the shooting range sub forum. I believe with a lighter trigger it would be easier to shoot and more fun even if it didn't shoot better. I know every one seems to love the rotary magazines but I actually hate them. I prefer a single stack mag like my CZ's. Easy to load and unload compared to the rotary mags. If the wind ever quits I will get the rifle sorted out to the ammo it likes but for now either one of the ammo marked as RWS pistol target and the CCi marked as pistol match is good. Hope it shoots RWS sub hpt well.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Pretty nice gift even if it is a lead sprayer.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 pm

bandit, are you going to re-scope the 10-22? Natchez' has some super deals on scopes right now. as a for instance: Weaver 1-3x20mm $139.99. Just a thought. Very nice gift she received.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Bandit, I had one of those 10/22 Ts and it was a pretty decent shooter, but a very finicky shooter as far as what I fed it. Looks like you've already solved that issue, though. I'd still keep testing, though, to find a bulk ammo it likes, since you, er, she, will be burning up a lot of ammo. Ours did pretty well with the Winchester bulk 525 HV packs, but the thing I remember most about that gun was how it absolutely hated Federal Automatch. Kind of spooky how bad it shot the Automatch. That one, of course, could be different.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 pm
bandit, are you going to re-scope the 10-22? Natchez' has some super deals on scopes right now. as a for instance: Weaver 1-3x20mm $139.99. Just a thought. Very nice gift she received.
Thanks Rifletom. The Weaver 1-3x20 is a fine scope for the money but I have a shelf full of scopes not on anything right now so one of them will get the chance to go on her Ruger. There is some good clearance prices on Weavers now they have gone out of business. If you have a warranty issue with a Weaver they now send you a Bushnell. :shock: They sent my friend a $70 Bushnell for a brand new Weaver 3-9 AO rim fire scope he sent back. He had $280 in the Weaver. He wasn't a very happy guy and held out for a better scope but was still a Bushnell they sent him and they had no Weavers at the warranty center.
0 x