Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Browning BuckMark rifle

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Browning BuckMark rifle

Post by roddy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:05 pm

A.K.A. the ugly duckling. This little thing is quickly becoming one of my favorite plinkers, and has earned a spot at the front of the safe.

I first noticed these rifles a few years ago, but had always dismissed them based on looks alone. Earlier this spring, I was looking at an SA-22, and the owner of the shop suggested I check out a BuckMark rifle. That lead to a discussion regarding the look of them, and how he felt the same way until he actually used one. "Just shoulder it" he says, "Mmmeh, ok" says I... The feeling of surprise must have shown on my face, 'cause he just chuckled and said "See?".

It feels light, quick to point, and stable in my arms. Speaking of arms, my ape-arms appreciate the 15+ inch length of pull. Fun little shooter.

20190524_133933.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Browning BuckMark rifle

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:09 pm

Very interesting roddy, let us know how it performs. Pic doesn't really show that LOP, however, hope it works for you!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Here's one from a different angle. I'll take some better pics once I'm done addressing some of the ugly...I've decided I like it enough to keep it around, so the plywood's gotta go...
20190524_133834.jpg

I picked up some walnut bits for it, and am in the process of giving them an oil finish. I've used linseed oil in the past, but my CZ 455 turned out pretty good using tung oil, so I'm giving that another go this time.

Here's what the walnut looked like right out of the box:
20190523_140115.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:00 pm

roddy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:05 pm
A.K.A. the ugly duckling.

I first noticed these rifles a few years ago, but had always dismissed them based on looks alone.

in thinking about it, agree on the duckling and understood on the dismissal .... there is no doubt about it, I'm pretty set in my ways .... on my own, I wouldn't pick up a rifle that looked like that .... thanks for posting about, I do appreciate the info
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:08 pm

... I kinda like the way the plywood coloring was done. Certainly a unique character.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Its different looking and not bad I dont think. I kinda like the laminated stock. I had a couple of Buckmarks at one time but they use some plastic in areas I wasnt to fond of so I got rid of them.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:18 pm

I kinda like it! Looks like a pistol with a but stock. Can see the LOP now too! Unique indeed! :)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:43 am

I'm hoping to get my Buckmark this month if things work out. I'm going for the Camper FX.

If anybody was wondering, the barrels on the Buckmark rifles are just different enough that you can't interchange them with the pistols. That's to ensure somebody doesn't change barrels w/o the proper paperwork.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Three guns I have looked at and thought it’s butt ugly so it better shoot good. The Henry AR-7, Ruger Charger, and this one.
I do know a number of people who have the Ruger and they say it shoots very well. I have heard from AR-7 owners who like it for what it is. But none who rave about how well it shoots. The Buckmark interests me, because I know the pistol shoots well. A longer barrel and buttstock has to help with accuracy at beyond 25 yards.
I look forward to seeing targets from you.
I agree that the walnut will improve the look.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Henry88 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:43 am
I'm hoping to get my Buckmark this month if things work out. I'm going for the Camper FX.

If anybody was wondering, the barrels on the Buckmark rifles are just different enough that you can't interchange them with the pistols. That's to ensure somebody doesn't change barrels w/o the proper paperwork.
I was curious about that myself, and checked out a pistol as well. The cut where the barrel fits the receiver is quite different between the two. I had briefly considered one of the longer (Target or Hunter) pistol barrels for a swap before I actually saw the difference. Where I am, we don't need paperwork for a SBR, as long as the rifle meets the minimum overall length requirement (26", IIRC). I would gladly trade that for the ability to purchase/use a suppressor (out of respect for my neighbors) without losing all my firearms and going directly to jail. We have some odd regulations here...
0 x