Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

It's been in the Shop

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

It's been in the Shop

Post by dddrees » Thu May 23, 2019 9:46 am

Man has it ever been in the shop. It's been in the shop since the first of February. I received it the first of January. I didn't really notice the problem until after getting it home and picking it up from my FFL. I ruminated on it for a couple of weeks. Disappointed and uncertain but yes somewhere I knew a forearm which at times would move although not free moving was in fact loose and not right. But somehow I just couldn't believe my new rifle would have to go back and risk potentially getting a different forearm and all new wood would have to go back for repair. New wood in this case could really affect how this rifle looks. It was repaired and no new wood was necessary but the forearm did need to be refinished. So I am hoping it still matches the butt stock and it looks right. A few parts were also replaced. They do have a quality inspection program and it actually failed the first time and thus it took even longer to get repaired.

Anyway it's finally, yes it's finally done and on it's way. Man I just hope this thing is right and tight and the way it should have been from the get go. A polish on the rifle was also done as part of the repair so unfortunately that nice patina I had on the brass may have been lost. But if it's finally repaired I think somehow I will get over that but that patina was awful sweet.

1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: It's been in the Shop

Post by JEBar » Thu May 23, 2019 9:59 am

good to hear she's repaired .... just curious, do you know what parts were replaced .. :?:
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu May 23, 2019 10:24 am

JEBar wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:59 am
good to hear she's repaired .... just curious, do you know what parts were replaced .. :?:

Thank you sir. The list according to what was on their web status page was the following. and a few of these parts were added after the first quality inspection. I take it that maybe the first tenon were incorrect. I don't know this for sure but that was my guess since the second was added afterwards.

Part Description
FOREARM CAP SCREW (2)
FOREARM CAP SCREW (2)
FOREARM CAP TENON
FOREARM TIP TENON 44/45 SHORT RIFLE
FOREARM TIP TENON 357 MAG SHORT RIFLE
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 23, 2019 11:30 am

I have little more than a casual knowledge of your model .... as to the cause of the problem, what does the replacement of those parts mean to you ... :?:
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu May 23, 2019 12:25 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:30 am
I have little more than a casual knowledge of your model .... as to the cause of the problem, what does the replacement of those parts mean to you ... :?:
I have absolutely no knowledge with regards to the parts they use or don't use. I'm just hoping whatever they did they addressed the issue where the forearm wasn't really installed or fit correctly. Even when I get to the point of cleaning this rifle I never expect or expected to have to take the forearm off. I do wonder if the forearm cap tenon might be the metal cap at the end of the forearm but that's just a guess. The portion where the forearm met the reciever where was where if you paid enough attention you could tell it was ill fitting. I think the cap might be the cap at the other end but maybe when I get the chance I might find a diagram of parts somewhere and check it out. In the meantime hopefully if everything goes right I will have it tommorow and everything will be right as rain.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 23, 2019 12:39 pm

sure hope it performs as it should .... looking forward to your report
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu May 23, 2019 12:52 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:39 pm
sure hope it performs as it should .... looking forward to your report
Thanks, me too.

The problem really was cosmetic although since it was loose depending on how you moved the forearm I guess it could have potentially cracked. It's only a 38 so I'm not even sure that it would crack but I figured it was best to get it fixed.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu May 23, 2019 1:07 pm

Hopefully it IS repaired and not a case of an improperly fitted, or a shrunk forestock.
If it starts to loosen again you may have to look into having the forestock 'bedded' to permanently repair it. Otherwise sending it back again would probably result in stock replacement so if you like the wood on it, and want to keep it you might need to consider bedding - IF it loosens again.
My '66 100 year commemorative Winchester was restocked by the original owner and while the wood is beautiful it unfortunately has a loose forestock as well and could be due to shrinkage or not properly fitted. I am shooting it but its a little irritating and I need to address it as well.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu May 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Mistered wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:07 pm
Hopefully it IS repaired and not a case of an improperly fitted, or a shrunk forestock.
If it starts to loosen again you may have to look into having the forestock 'bedded' to permanently repair it. Otherwise sending it back again would probably result in stock replacement so if you like the wood on it, and want to keep it you might need to consider bedding - IF it loosens again.
My '66 100 year commemorative Winchester was restocked by the original owner and while the wood is beautiful it unfortunately has a loose forestock as well and could be due to shrinkage or not properly fitted. I am shooting it but its a little irritating and I need to address it as well.

Sorry to hear about yours as well. I can only imagine, and that's why I tried to get mine fixed now while still new. I've got my fingers crossed. If it should and I hope not be a problem in the future they should replace with the same grade of wood and match and replace the butt stock as well, but I do like the way the wood it came with looks. At least I have this initial warranty service on record now. I would have to check but I think my 1873 is supposed to be in the same grade range but the 1866 wood which is significantly different does have some really nice character to it.

I've seen a few posts on various forums about loose forearms. Not many but I have seen a few so it seems this issue is not uncommon with Winchesters unfortunately.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu May 23, 2019 2:00 pm

Well mine was an amateur job - like I said nice wood but poor fitting. I also had to shim the rear stock as it too was not cut properly to fit the upper & lower tangs of the receiver - very important on a Winchester for proper lever operation & cycling..
I need to address the forestock sometime soon but will probably not do a complete bedding but there are some other techniques that will suffice to tighten it up.
0 x