Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My husband shot the NIB CZ SCOUT that he bought

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

My husband shot the NIB CZ SCOUT that he bought

Post by Catherine » Sat May 21, 2016 11:32 pm

a week ago where he put some other firearms on consignment.

It is a TACK DRIVER and he is very pleased with it for a smaller rifle.

I don't do pictures online, no clue there, but his target is very impressive.

I did not go to the range this evening due to the pain in my leg, foot, etc. and I had to use the cane around the house most of the day. My back feels better - good and bad days.

The rain let up a bit here too. We need the rain so I am not complaining there!

Cate
3 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: My husband shot the NIB CZ SCOUT that he bought

Post by White Squirrel » Sun May 22, 2016 12:21 am

So, really a good news/bad news kind of day.

I have never shot a CZ but I hear so many good things about them, that may have to change. Glad your husband enjoyed it.

I like the looks of the shorter bolt action rifles. I have a 70 year old Remington 512 and a Ruger American Rimfire, but I have really been looking at the Ruger American Rimfire Compact. I just like the shorter, lighter carbine style rifles. I did recently pick up a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. Love the length, weight, and feel of it. Not much more recoil than a .22LR.

Sorry to hear about your pain this evening. I hope it improves.
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun May 22, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks for the CZ report, Cate. I hope you get to the range again soon. Take care of your sweet self.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:55 am

Interesting to hear so very many comments on shooting CZ rifles, Cate. I've never shot that brand, and am curious on the difference from how my Henrys perform. I have the Henry Small Game Carbine, and also like the smaller rifle platform as your husband does.

And you mentioned the "good and bad days," those days we all get to experience. My wife and I are not youngsters any longer, and both have issues that come with the "Tarnished Bronze Age" (formerly seen as the "Golden Age" -- a definite misnomer!). :lol: My wife has more physical difficulties than I, but it's always great when the good days happen. For myself, I had one yesterday. I have to regularly get back massage therapy to help me through the work I do, which strains my lower back. Well, the therapist found my lower back better and strengthened yesterday, although some additional "aches & pains" had shifted to my upper back and shoulders. But that's okay, because we are capable of rubbing our own shoulders if they hurt, where the back massage is hard to do to oneself. So it was a "good day" for me yesterday, and my wife was pleased to hear that, too.

So keep on keeping on. You have the company of many other good folk here and there who travel the same days you do. Sure hope you improve, feel better, and can get to the range for some fun time again! :D

Catherine wrote:a week ago where he put some other firearms on consignment.

It is a TACK DRIVER and he is very pleased with it for a smaller rifle.

I don't do pictures online, no clue there, but his target is very impressive.

I did not go to the range this evening due to the pain in my leg, foot, etc. and I had to use the cane around the house most of the day. My back feels better - good and bad days.

The rain let up a bit here too. We need the rain so I am not complaining there!

Cate
1 x

~Пока~

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:03 am

We have two scouts in my home for the grandkids to shoot when they are here. I shoot them quite often my self and find them to be as accurate as the rest of my 452 CZ rim fires. They are scoped with 2-7 Leupold rim fire scopes and that may help a little in the accuracy on paper. I have used one for squirrels and what a dream to carry.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun May 22, 2016 10:13 am

I have several CZ's including a Scout. For some reason my Scout isn't all that accurate. But the others sure are. What kind of ammo was he shooting? Inaccurate firearms will shoot all ammo poorly but the great ones like good ammo. I shoot mostly Norma in mine but will also shoot RWS.

Hope you get feeling better.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Sun May 22, 2016 7:49 pm

Thank you, folks.

I plan on shooting the CZ Scout too. I never shot one. He shot a friend's CZ rifle in another caliber years ago at one of our private, invite only, shooting matches at our range. (Older post on this forum.) He liked it at the time. He never owned a CZ before either.

Even though this is a small rifle and he is 6"1" tall, he can handle this well.

http://www.wmfga.org/

I will be able to shoot this CZ since it is a lighter weight rifle too. The other rifle that I shoot in a lighter weight is the Savage Rascal bolt action rifle - 22lr. I can shoot that when my arthritis is bad too.

For now, there are 2 Savage Rascals here for me to use. (Single shot - bolt action rifle.)

I am doing everything that I can Now as I did in the Past to keep my neck, back, etc. in good shape, old bad injuries - serious fall and with my arthritis issues so I am shooting ONLY lighter weight firearms now and in 22lr. I plan on keeping up my basic shooting skills (Which are still pretty good!) and to enjoy the sport as long as I can.

SH, my husband was using my open box of FEDERAL Auto Match which is what I or we use most of the time although he does have some Federal HP ammo too. We used up the other quality brands that we had plus we sold a bunch of our ammo at cost to people who needed/wanted it since we are no longer HIGH volume shooters as I have mentioned before here.

We are shooting less and getting older so we do not want to keep the same amount of ammo, etc. here as we did in the past. Plus he shoots his CF firearms more than RF firearms as he always did in his life. He has not owned any RF handguns for several years now as an example to you. He only shoots one 9mm and a few 45acp pistols now. I have not owned or shot handguns in several years now.

I have tried some of the 'more expensive' RF ammo including some type of Norma 22lr (We bought 2 boxes from Cabela's here in town a few years ago.) and so did he and we shot just as well in our former and present firearms with the FEDERAL, CCI, etc. brands as we did with that. When I sold a rifle, I sold the second box of Norma and one other box of ammo at cost with that rifle.

I heard that some of the newer RF ammunition in production is not that great but we have not run into any of that.

I did not and we do not have all of those failure to feed and other issues that so many people talk about on the forums especially in the last few years. Is it the shooter, the firearm or the name/brand/type of ammunition? Beats me.

And I am talking about many types of my former handguns and rifles. That goes for my husband's guns including his former Colt Woodsman that he sold and other 'famous' guns. No issues.

I had one type of ammo that I did not like in a bulk box because it was dirty. It was a different type of Winchester from the late 90's or early 2000. They may not even make it now. It shot okay but it was dirty. It was not the same type of Winchester that I tried back then and I never bought it again.

I used to try many different types of ammo in 22lr when I first got into shooting and with ALL of my various RF/CF firearms including several in 22wmr when we had a 22wmr here until recently.

Added more: I stayed away from some super cheap and lousy ammo that I read about in Remington (RF!) and in other brands. I did try some Remington Golden Bullets and they were okay but I did not buy the cheap RF one that people complain about. I mainly bought FEDERAL brands and some CCI.

I liked many types of 22 WMR ammo but I can't remember all of the good names now shy of a few of them.

Take care.

Cate
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun May 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I like the Federal Auto Match as inexpensive HV rounds but my rifles like the Norma stuff. To use it to its fullest run a bore snake down the tube and shoot three seasoning rounds then try for groups. The CZ's will really give tight groups but my Henrys only gives me marginally better groups.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Mon May 23, 2016 7:53 pm

SH,

We do that and run a bore snake or a rod/patch down the barrel. We do a few seasoning rounds too.

Thanks and take care.

Cate
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon May 23, 2016 8:33 pm

Catherine wrote:Thank you, folks...
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=680
Cate
Thank you, Cate. Your comments about shooting and your evaluation of rimfire ammunition is -- to me -- very informative and helpful.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"