Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Completing My Winchester Lever Collection

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Completing My Winchester Lever Collection

Post by dddrees » Sat May 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Well what I consider a collection anyway.

Since I started looking for and then acquiring replicas of the Winchester 1866, Winchester 1873, and Henry Rifle somewhere along the way I also looked at trying to acquire a Winchester 1892 as well.
One of the things that drew me to these rifles besides the history and the fact that they were lever guns was the fact I could get something in the same caliber that I already had pistols in with exception of the Henry in 45 Colt. The fact it was in a different caliber was in no way going to stop me from getting a Henry Rifle.

In addition, I also wanted rifles where the wood had a bit more character. Something a bit nicer. This was extremely easy when it came to the Original Henry because Henry Repeating Arms sells their Original Henry with an American Fancy Grade stock. However to get the best stock on a Winchester you have to get a Deluxe version. In fact for the most part to get the best grade available at the time you had to purchase a 2018 Shot Show Version. This wasn't an issue on the 1866 because there were still enough in quantity when I decided to make this purchase. I initially decided to get the Yellow Boy first and then over time get a 1873 and a Henry Rifle. Luckily, I kept tabs on the 1873 and noticed these becoming scarce so I jumped on one a bit quicker than initially planned.

Somewhere along the line as I looked at these rifles and the history and development of the Winchester Lever Guns it became apparent that for me even after getting the Henry, the Winchester 1866, and the Winchester 1873 the set really wouldn't be complete for me until I got a Winchester 1892. I mean after all John Wayne carried the 1892. Well actually so did the rifleman and as far as I know and remember I think the 1892 really was the most carried version in movies and television even though it may have in reality have been depicted incorrectly for the time period these movies and shows where trying to represent. Regardless it seems to me that this was the end of the evolution of the pistol caliber lever action rifle for Winchester and somehow my set just would not be complete without it. I do have to other Winchester Lever Guns but although Lever Guns not really in the same vein as these other ones.

The third in my set may very well have been the Winchester 1892 instead of the Henry Rifle had it not been so difficult to locate. My criteria for this one was a bit more specific as I not only wanted better wood but I also wanted it in the takedown version. There was a Shot Show 2017 version with a higher grade of wood but it wasn’t a takedown version. This was actually available in a Shot Show 2018 version but it was impossible to find in 357 by the time I looked and somewhat difficult to find in 45. So at this stage I decided to get the Henry and figured I may never get the 1892 I really wanted unless at some point I purchased from an individual collector, estate or something similar. Winchester and Miroku it appears make limited versions and if you find something you like your best to get them as soon as they come out.

So by now I’m actually contemplating other options to include other configurations which where not a takedown model or a takedown model by another manufacturer other than Miroku. Somehow none of these ever really appealed to me after the initial thought of just getting something wore off. In other words I knew what I wanted and I just knew the other options just weren’t a good fit for me.
I wanted a takedown version because it will be a bit more unique for me, it appealed to me aesthetically, and because this should make cleanup easier especially in what is my understanding a more difficult to take apart gun. I’m also hoping this might work better if I have any issues with ammunition at the range. The magazine does come out so if I have a jam I would think it would be nowehere as difficult had it not been a takedown model.

Anyhow the whole forum move thing gave me plenty of time on my hands and unlike Ranchroper I have already learned my lesson and instead of talking to the wife I started searching for another gun. LOL
My list is small and I am trying to keep it modest and besides I had a HOLE I could drive a Mac Truck through. I WANTED a Winchester 1892 in the Takedown configuration and preferably in 357.

Anyway I can thank the forum gods because I found MY Shot Show 2018 1892 in 357. I placed this one on layaway for now but should be getting soon.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Completing My Winchester Lever Collection

Post by Mistered » Sat May 11, 2019 1:34 pm

If you really want a challenge try to find an original mod 92 converted to .357 or .44 mag.
There are probably a few still floating around but I suspect it would be like the proverbial 'needle in a haystack' to find.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat May 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Mistered wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:34 pm
If you really want a challenge try to find an original mod 92 converted to .357 or .44 mag.
There are probably a few still floating around but I suspect it would be like the proverbial 'needle in a haystack' to find.

Although I have a few vintage things that really appealed to me I don't have anything nearly that vintage and typically new with warranty works best for me. There are just so many things that come with vintage and collectable that gives me more of the willies.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat May 11, 2019 11:43 pm

There are just so many things that come with vintage and collectable that gives me more of the willies.
Nothing to fear about a vintage Winchester or give you the 'Willies'
Winchesters are are pretty basic and easy to work on. The nice thing is a good condition older or 'vintage' Winchester if in nice condition is usually 'worn in' and cycle and operate very smoothly. My 1899 Mod 94 is the smoothest of all my levers.
The late 60's thru mid 70's were probably the roughest and my 1966 & '68 both took a little work to get them operating correctly but being they are both commemoratives they came with some minor, 'built in' issues (as they were both unfired) but after some 'tuning' both are now pretty smooth.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat May 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Mistered wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:43 pm
There are just so many things that come with vintage and collectable that gives me more of the willies.
Nothing to fear about a vintage Winchester or give you the 'Willies'
Winchesters are are pretty basic and easy to work on. The nice thing is a good condition older or 'vintage' Winchester if in nice condition is usually 'worn in' and cycle and operate very smoothly. My 1899 Mod 94 is the smoothest of all my levers.
The late 60's thru mid 70's were probably the roughest and my 1966 & '68 both took a little work to get them operating correctly but being they are both commemoratives they came with some minor, 'built in' issues (as they were both unfired) but after some 'tuning' both are now pretty smooth.

Yeah, but I’m not a DYI kind of person and the newer ones work just fine for me. And if they don’t work I hav the warranty to fallback on. The even older collectable stuff for much higher prices really wasn’t something I really wanted to get into either. I’m no expert and have no desire to get hoodwinked and the newer ones work perfectly fine for my plinking purposes.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 12, 2019 12:05 am

but I’m not a DYI kind of person
Ok - this is understandable.
I however AM a very DIY type and enjoy working on guns - and just about everything else mechanical.
I consider myself a pretty good 'novice' gunsmith and can do NEARLY anything on a gun - but there are some things I would not attempt but for the most part I handle it myself.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun May 12, 2019 12:17 am

Mistered wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:05 am
but I’m not a DYI kind of person
Ok - this is understandable.
I however AM a very DIY type and enjoy working on guns - and just about everything else mechanical.
I consider myself a pretty good 'novice' gunsmith and can do NEARLY anything on a gun - but there are some things I would not attempt but for the most part I handle it myself.
I can really admire that, but it’s just not me. This kind of thing really tests my patience. LOL

That and I’m more fearful I would screw something up.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun May 12, 2019 10:45 am

Dan, not sure how authentic you want to go on an '92, but those Miroku 1892s have a tang safety and rebounding hammer. I've never had any issues with their rebounding hammers on other models, but do know before buying that Miroku 92s and 94s are set up this way. Also, ignore what the Winchester website listing under the specs as far as these being drilled and tapped for a scope and as far as being drilled and tapped for a "receiver" peep. Not so. They need to do some proof reading, there. Marble's does offer a tang sight for these Miroku tang safety models, though. Otherwise, you're stuck with the traditional buckhorn setup.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 am

you're stuck with the traditional buckhorn setup.
An alternative to a buckhorn however would be one of the flip up style dovetail mounted sights.
While similar to a Buckhorn with regard to having a rear blade they are much more 'cleaner' on the rifle and have slightly thicker blades and give a pretty good sight picture.
I have one on my .58 Zouave I used for BP deer hunting and it really works well - even with the long sight plane of this rifle.
Mine does not have windage adjustment but I see this new style does. While they are designed to flip down to clear the sight path for say a secondary sight system it is a solid lock up when in the up position and can be left this way.
I may get one for my 1899 Mod 94 as I am still considering options for it.
This is the Marbles style similar to mine but there are others available as well.
Marbles.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun May 12, 2019 1:27 pm

Henry Long Ranger and Single Shots come with the flip up style dovetail mounted sights.
Mistered wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 am
you're stuck with the traditional buckhorn setup.
An alternative to a buckhorn however would be one of the flip up style dovetail mounted sights.
While similar to a Buckhorn with regard to having a rear blade they are much more 'cleaner' on the rifle and have slightly thicker blades and give a pretty good sight picture.
I have one on my .58 Zouave I used for BP deer hunting and it really works well - even with the long sight plane of this rifle.
Mine does not have windage adjustment but I see this new style does. While they are designed to flip down to clear the sight path for say a secondary sight system it is a solid lock up when in the up position and can be left this way.
I may get one for my 1899 Mod 94 as I am still considering options for it.
This is the Marbles style similar to mine but there are others available as well.
Marbles.jpg
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234