Completing My Winchester Lever Collection

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Completing My Winchester Lever Collection

Post by dddrees » Sun May 12, 2019 1:37 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:45 am
Dan, not sure how authentic you want to go on an '92, but those Miroku 1892s have a tang safety and rebounding hammer. I've never had any issues with their rebounding hammers on other models, but do know before buying that Miroku 92s and 94s are set up this way. Also, ignore what the Winchester website listing under the specs as far as these being drilled and tapped for a scope and as far as being drilled and tapped for a "receiver" peep. Not so. They need to do some proof reading, there. Marble's does offer a tang sight for these Miroku tang safety models, though. Otherwise, you're stuck with the traditional buckhorn setup.

I think someone said it best when they said that when buying one of these replicas or reproductions you have to be willing to compromise. Although I have no experience with the rebounding hammer that is probably the biggest compromise I am having to make. However the other alternatives are either are not as overall attractive to me or would be much more than I am personally willing to pay to not have a rebounding hammer.

The most negative remark I’ve read so far was that it made the trigger heavier because of the safety. This I think if true would be the most bothersome to me.

If I remember correctly someone did point out that they posted incorrect information on their website but thanks for the reminder.

There are other small compromises I am making with this rifle but overall I think when it comes to what’s available I’m still overall extremely happy I was able to find one of these still out there. Based on what I hav seen it’s the best fit for me.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 12, 2019 1:41 pm

This is the flip up on my Zouave. It may be on my 1899 later today!
FLIPUP.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun May 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Mistered wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 am
you're stuck with the traditional buckhorn setup.
An alternative to a buckhorn however would be one of the flip up style dovetail mounted sights.
While similar to a Buckhorn with regard to having a rear blade they are much more 'cleaner' on the rifle and have slightly thicker blades and give a pretty good sight picture.
I have one on my .58 Zouave I used for BP deer hunting and it really works well - even with the long sight plane of this rifle.
Mine does not have windage adjustment but I see this new style does. While they are designed to flip down to clear the sight path for say a secondary sight system it is a solid lock up when in the up position and can be left this way.
I may get one for my 1899 Mod 94 as I am still considering options for it.
This is the Marbles style similar to mine but there are others available as well.
Marbles.jpg
To be honest I’ve yet to give any of this any thought so thanks for the recommendation. I think it might be kind of cool to get at least one tang sight on one my rifles as well but I think I’ll have some time to figure this out later.

Thanks,

Dan
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun May 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Mistered wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:41 pm
FLIPUP.JPG
That’s pretty similar to the sight that’s on my SA 22.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 12, 2019 1:59 pm

That’s pretty similar to the sight that’s on my SA 22.
Probably the newer version of the Marble's with windage adjustment.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun May 12, 2019 7:55 pm

I wouldn't worry about the trigger until you actually get to try the trigger on one of these.

I do like that Marble's sight, by the way.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Some of you may have noticed the blade in my rear sight is obviously not the original.
I had to make a taller one to get POI correct due to the front sight block my friend and I machined, dovetailed and soldered on the front of the barrel to accommodate a bead sight lowered the POI.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun May 12, 2019 8:18 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:55 pm
I wouldn't worry about the trigger until you actually get to try the trigger on one of these.

I do like that Marble's sight, by the way.
Well, hopefully that’s not the case and if so not that bad. Anyway after weighing all my options i’m pretty confident I made the right choice for me.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Tracking number received and the rifle ships Tuesday. Hope to have it by the end of the week.
1 x