Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Value affected by mag extension?

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Value affected by mag extension?

Post by Redthies » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:07 am

I’m considering putting a longer mag tube on my Marlin 1895GS. The tube from the 1895SBL will bolt right on, with the addition of a new dovetail near the end of the barrel (underside of course). My question is this: Do you think that the extra dovetail would diminish the value of the gun? This is not a rare gun, but being JM stamped it has more value than a RemLin. For my uses in grizzly country, the extra capacity would be nice, and I think there are more people buying SBL models than GS. I’m actually not sure which model is more visually appealing... I’m leaning towards the stock GS. And I’m also thinking that if I can’t get it done with 4+1, I’m likely on my way to being bear pooh anyway! What would YOU do?

Pics of the two:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Value affected by mag extension?

Post by Mistered » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:16 am

Leave it - it's a JM stamped gun.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 am

Install the longer tube, it will look better, and more importantly make you feel better in bear country. If you are planning to sell it next year, keep it as delivered. I doubt that an extra dovetail would have any serious impact on a non-collector firearm. The next owner could always put the short tube back on and install a flush dovetail blank. I suggest that you hold onto the original tube.

PS there are plenty of JM guns out there, I doubt that yours is anything special.... unless it is part of a 500 gun special run and is serial numbered that way; even then, tasteful and well-executed mods on a working gun do not signifucantly impact the value. I had an 1895STP JDM gun that I sold for four times what I paid for it, with a bunch of non standard mods.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:31 am

there are plenty of JM guns out there,
Good point - I tend to always think along the lines of ‘older’ collectible guns where value might be affected but in your case most likely not.
Would I drill & tap my 1899 Winchester for a Williams receiver sight ? Never!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:38 am

I doubt whether the extra capacity will come into play if you are attacked by a grizzly. If you study case histories of grizzly attacks, consider yourself lucky to even get off a shot with your rifle. Plenty of cases where someone was carrying a rifle and never even got a chance to use it. Don't want to get morbid, here, but those are the stats.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:17 pm

North Country Gal wrote:I doubt whether the extra capacity will come into play if you are attacked by a grizzly. If you study case histories of grizzly attacks, consider yourself lucky to even get off a shot with your rifle. Plenty of cases where someone was carrying a rifle and never even got a chance to use it. Don't want to get morbid, here, but those are the stats.
A Griz can go from 0 to 35 mph in just about nothing flat. 50 yds will give you about 3 seconds to get a shot off. Better not have it slung on your shoulder. :shock:
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:01 pm

I’ve lived in grizzly country for 46 of my 50 years. I’m under no delusion that I’d get more than one or two max off in the event of a charge. It’s kind of a “is more better” question. I’m leaning more towards leaving it alone, frankly.

We had a video do the rounds locally of a guy trying to scare a sow off his property. He got one out of his 12 gauge. It didn’t go well...

(His wife is NOT going to get a call from Hollywood anytime soon)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j0X09OvBU94
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF